How to teach responsible use of hand sanitizer?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Gwen, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Mar 18, 2008

I don't want to have to police my students with the hand sanitizer but it's been a problem all year. I don't get a lot of parent donations, the school does not provide soap or sanitzer so what we do have is very precious. I've talked to the kids over and over and over about appropriate amounts, the need to conserve, when is a good time to wash hands. But every time I turn my back 3 of them are surrounding the bottle and squirting huge amounts into their hand to the point where its dripping on the grounds. How do you teach responsible use of hand sanitizer?

3. kburen

kburen Cohort

Mar 18, 2008

Mine know that they use it when they sneeze or pick their nose. I explain that they only need one small squirt and try to watch them in the begining. It took a while, but most of them use it only when it's needed now and only the right amount.

4. SLteaCh

SLteaCh Companion

Mar 18, 2008

I have a bottle at each table and they are only to use one squirt right before we eat (we wash our hands at the bathroom right before, but you never know what they touch!) Other than this part of the routine, they know they are only allowed to use it if I direct them to. In the beginning when I was explaining the rules of the germ killer, I talked about how expensive it is and justified why they were only allowed to use one squirt. Our school nurse sent out an article about how sanitizer doesn't do as much as we think it does and how (properly) washing your hands is the best solution. Since I don't trust that my kinders wash well enough, we stick to the one-squirt-rule!

5. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Mar 18, 2008

I start out by being the only one in control of the bottle and I model how much to use. I explicity explain how you do not have to do a full squirt. Later, I start classroom jobs and a "Hand Sanitizer Manager" is in charge of giving the squirts. They all become experts and there is generally not a problem.

6. starbucks

starbucks Comrade

Mar 18, 2008

I am the only one who gets to squirt the soap because I am the only one that buys it!! Also just as a precaution, at one the first inservices of the school year our school nurse warned all of the teachers about thumb suckers and hand sanitizers. Apparently there was a 1st grade student (not in my district) that was a big thumb sucker. She was not acting herself and the nurse called her mother who then took her to the ER. It ended up she had alcohol poisoning from the hand sanitizer! She had licked enough of it off of her hands to make her tiny body sick!

7. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Mar 18, 2008

In addition to explaining to students about how much sanitizer to use, we model the appropriate use daily. When my parapro takes them to lunch, the kiddos line up and put their hands out and she gives each student a squirt. This helps them see how much is enough.

8. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Mar 18, 2008

This is what we do too.

9. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Mar 18, 2008

My "special helper" gives all the kids a small squirt when they come out of the bathroom (we all go together 2 times a day). I watch them and if they give a squirt that is too big too many times to be an accident, I take over for the day. The rest of the kids get a squirt when they come out of the bathroom themselves, otherwise they don't touch it. I buy it at the Dollar Tree...
    The thumbsucker story scares me...I have one!

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 18, 2008

Place a dime in their hand and let them see how much a dime-sized squirt is. Then, I squirt it for a while until they can see how much is appropriate. Next, I let them do it while I watch at one of the times that we all get hand sanitizer (after we have been to recess). Now, they are great about it and even remind other people to use hand sanitizer.

11. Gwen

Gwen Companion

Mar 18, 2008

Those are all really good ideas. I'm going to try them. Thanks!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 18, 2008

I heard that more than one child was blinded when sanitizer squirt into his/her eyes.

13. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Mar 18, 2008

It is one of my classroom jobs. The "hand sanitizer-squirter" waits until everyone is in line before they head out to lunch then walks down the line and gives them each a tiny squirt. Of course I pick a student who won't abuse this power. lol

14. love2teachk

love2teachk Companion

Mar 23, 2008

If you wrap a rubber band around the top and kinda stick it down in there only a little will come out at a time. I make a big deal of the fact that they have little hands and need a little squirt, and they should not be bathing in it (some will-all up and down their arms-it is crazy!).

I'd never heard about the thumb sucking causing the alcohol poisioning. that is good to know!

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 27, 2008

I have avoided hand sanitizer and special germ killing soaps for years. Most have alcohol in them. After you have seen and heard presentations on good old soap and water--that is all you will want to use.

16. kmiller215

kmiller215 Rookie

Jun 5, 2010

I do all the other suggestions as well- modeling, etc...however I found the rubberband works the best!!!!

17. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2010

Hand sanitizers are against our Health and Safety guidelines and policies. I can have a small bottle locked up for my personal use, but I cannot give it to students.

18. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 5, 2010

I'm generally a hand sanitizer avoider as well.

19. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jun 5, 2010

When Lining up to leave the room (and as my back was turned), my little ones would try soaking their backpacks with sanitizer.

I quickly moved the line back further into the room - and out of reach.

20. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 5, 2010

i have the one squirt rule too, and model model model!

21. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Jun 6, 2010

I'm in the same boat as Amanda... I administer/model the first few weeks of school. I then have a snack helper that does it before lunch/snacks. If kids need a squirt for something during the day, it's in a spot where I can monitor it. If it becomes an issue - model again... and again, and maybe even one more time. :)

22. skerns

skerns Companion

Jun 12, 2010

Hand sanitizer

I am going to have to disagree with all the previous posts. Our school no longer uses the hand sanitizer in preschool age. One of my parents is a dr and she said that only using a dime amount is pointless. It is not enough to even begin to kill the germs or to spread all over your hands. Children need to use a quarter sized squirt to be effective. But then there are the unsafe issues of ingesting. The year we used the hand sanitizer in our class we were always sick with colds, pink eye, etc all year long. If one kid got something, it spread quickly to the next child. Last year we decided to only use wipes for hands, and Clorox wipes for desks and chairs. We had a significant decrease in sickness.

My suggestion is to check out the hand sanitizer effectiveness and ask each parent to send in a box of wipes twice a year. I add a wish list in my weekly letter and I always got the supplies I needed without cost to me.

23. skerns

skerns Companion

Jun 12, 2010

Where does the dirt go when you use hand sanitizer??:confused: I am telling you, ;) line them up to get their own wipey and then they throw away the dirt and wipe on their way back to their seat. The dirt is not smeared around on their hands with the alcohol to eat at snack. :(

24. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jun 12, 2010

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not...

I don't know if I got this tip from somewhere or if I thought of it on my own, but here's what I do: I wrap a wide rubber band around and around the area under the pump so that it can't be pushed down completely. This seems to have helped. I show them that a quick short pump is all that is necessary. Of course I still have those that drip it across the floor from overuse. I distribute it myself at lunch time. I purchased two huge bottles about a month ago and they're about halfway gone. We had used up all the student donated bottles and what was left from last year too.