How to teach note taking skills

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by bholm83, Jul 19, 2018.

1. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 19, 2018

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have a good resource where I can learn more on good note taking? I have a terrible background in this, but want my students more active during my mini discussions in class. I teach PE/health if that matters. I don't expect a ton of notes but want my students to be able to better organize their thoughts. I'm very familiar with graphic organizers but not sure where to start with those. Also, just the science of note taking would be interesting to learn about too. What has research shown to work for most people under most circumstances? I certainly could use some help taking notes myself!

Also, to give you an idea what I want students to take notes on, I did a discussion today on fitness warm-ups and went over the purpose of them, the key principles in a good warm up (slow to fast, simple to complex, using all planes of movement etc) Then I dived a little deeper into each key principle and had them brainstorm examples.

Appreciate any help you can give!

3. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 20, 2018

I've always struggled with simultaneously listening and writing without missing key points - especially challenging when listening to a presenter who speaks continuously and fast.

You can teach your students to record just the salient points by introducing them to a note taking template with prompts (in boldface below). So, for your P.E. discussion, you might consider a generic outline that students can use to fill-in the blanks:

Date 7-19-18
    Subject P.E.
    Lesson Title Fitness Warm-Ups

Key Point
    Slow to Fast
    Examples:

Key Point Simple to Complex
    Examples:

Key Point Using All Planes of Movement
    Examples:

Hand out copies of the note taking outline to students and guide them through its use as the discussion progresses. You might actually tell them what to write the first few times until they become accustomed to completing the outlines. Eventually, they should be able to set up their own notes on a blank sheet of paper.

That Business Guy likes this.
  4. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 23, 2018

Great idea. thanks alot for the help!

5. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jul 23, 2018

I agree with Been There of having an outline to guide students. Your notes could also be very broad with students explaining five key points they learned of the specific lesson. This empowers students to seek their own answers.

I also urge you to reflect on how important notes are for your students to learn. The structure of how students take notes should align with the importance of mastering concepts/vocabulary/etc. If you just want to see what your students are learning, the notes can be less structured, such as students filling in thought bubbles. If you want students to know specific concepts/vocabulary/etc., the notes should be structured so students can easily view what they specifically need to know.

Been There likes this.
  6. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 23, 2018

Following what TBG said, to be of any value, I believe that notes should be reviewed from time to time - don't expect them to automatically do this on their own at first - e.g. "OK, everyone take out your notes from last Thursday and raise your hand if you can tell me . . . ". Teachers of academic subjects should require students to keep their notes organized in a binder in chronological order. (As opposed to allowing students to discard card them on the way out of the classroom!) I would direct everyone to insert their notes properly as soon as they're completed in class - until they start doing it without being told. This way, the notes become a useful resource for completing assignments and reviewing for tests. Although this approach may sound somewhat regimented, it will help ensure that everyone is on the same page and no one is left behind without any notes.

7. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 24, 2018

Thanks guys. I’ve always been interested in the science of note taking and remembering concepts, vocal etc. i never really got this training in school so trying to get an idea of how to utilize graphic organizers, guided note taking etc. a lot to take in so if you have any resources, books etc that would be awesome.