How to teach kids to take good care of stuffed animals???

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by margiedovepreklove, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Sep 4, 2017

Hi everyone!

My name is Margie Dove and I'm a pre-k teacher in Wisconsin. My school year starts next week and I was wondering if anyone has any books or lessons they use to teach kiddos how to treat stuffed animals. I've taught for years but never noticed this to be an issue until last year, when my classroom became the room stuffies go to die!

I love having stuffed animals in my room. They're adorable, and make for great reading and cuddle companions. My previous classes, of course weren't exactly treating them with TLC - each buddy had their fair share of accidental stains and wear, but they weren't on the verge of being destroyed! Many of the stuffed friends in my class are my children's outgrown toys, and last year they became victims of my four-year-olds, after years of being gently loved and snuggled before. The kids would simply go crazy with them! They played tug-of-war with Curious George, they threw around and sat on a puppy, pulled on Horton the elephant's big ears, and one little girl even gave my daughter's Cat in the Hat some "lipstick" with a red marker! (It thankfully washed out.) I explained to the children that the animals are our friends and we have to be nice to them, or else they'd leave - and they did!

Later in the year I usually send my big Dangles monkey home with each child. I didn't last year because I didn't want him coming back with makeup or any missing limbs! I didn't want to risk having to replace Dangles in the middle of his "adventures", because he is pretty pricey on ebay.

I want my new kiddos to have my stuffed animals and I want them to get to take Dangles home! I really don't want to just take them away again.

Any help is greatly appreciated!! xoxo Margie Dove

3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 4, 2017

Have a conversation with the students when they are being too rough and model the behaviour that you expect.

One year on pyjama day, many of my students brought stuffies. Before the opening announcements had even started, I looked over at my carpet where the students gathered and many stuffies were being thrown into the air. We had a quick chat about stuffy expectations and that was the end of that. Anyone who didn't comply lost the use of a stuffy for a while.

4. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Sep 6, 2017

I would avoid showing any of the videos I just found of stuffed animal murders.

What's wrong with people?

5. dazzy123

dazzy123 Guest

Dec 4, 2017

Hello,

I want to admit my kid in a daycare preschool but he doesn't want to leave me anytime so please suggest me how could I leave him in a preschool.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2017
  6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Dec 4, 2017

Probably should create a new thread.

Your best bet is to walk the kid inside and leave. He will cry and scream, then he will get over it.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.