How to teach cursive?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by KiewiStyles, Aug 12, 2006.

1. KiewiStyles

KiewiStyles Rookie

Aug 12, 2006

Any ideas or suggestions, please?

3. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

We take a folder that has the brads in them and put in a page for each letter that has tons of letters to practice. Then each day we work on one letter. I start off by showing on the overhead and then allow them to work on the letter. I take a colored marker and walk around and circle the ones that don't look so hot. They then erase and re do that one. Then after we do each letter we work on bringing them together. They work on writing sentences and I do the same by walking around and making sure they all look good. Hope this helps.

4. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 12, 2006

I'm not sure the ins and outs of it (we don't teach cursive in 2nd grade) but I know the 3rd grade teachers in my school use a program called "Loops and other groups" which teaches cursive - here is more info:

Loops and Other Groups

5. Lotte

Lotte Companion

Aug 12, 2006

6. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 12, 2006

I teach cursive in 2nd grade after the winter break. We use the Zaner-Bloser Handwriting book. I teach a letter each day on the overhead. Actually, I project onto a white board. THis seems to be easier for the children to see. I also have the cursvie letter s up from the beginning of the year so that they become familiar with them by the time we start practicing cursive.

7. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 12, 2006

Our Handwriting books teach the letters in an order of how the letters are formed. So, g, a, c, d, o, q, would probably be taught together since they all start from the same origination point.