How to tame rambunctious HS?

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Hnana, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Hnana

Hnana Rookie

Sep 9, 2005

I went to my very first Sub assignment the other day. The classes were 99% males 11-12 grade. They started by trying every trick they could think of. They argued with me at every turn and were sarcastic. I survived without loosing it so I went back for a second day. The second day was in the same dept but for a different teacher. These boys were uncontrollable. They argued and insulted me at every turn. The teacher left the same assignment for them to do on all three of the days that he planned to be gone. They claimed to have done it the previous day and would not follow my directions to do something else. I had no clever ideas of how to get their attention or how to control them. I ended up with the Vice Principal in the classroom. It was horrible. My question: How it the world do you handle these boys??? Should I come with my own "work sheets" to keep them busy in case the teacher lets me down? I can imagine that whatever I present to them, if it was not directly from their teacher, it would be ignored and they would just continue to cause problems. HELP!
    Ginger

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 9, 2005

Not a fun situation! One thing I would do is leave detailed notes - this should at least show that you did everything in your power to keep order. Afterall, if they are in grades 11-12, they are probably between 16 and 18 and if they were never inclined to follow instructions for subs (or anyone in authority) before, they won't now. At their age, I doubt anything you do would change their behaviour. The only thing I can think of is somehow finding a way to connect with them. If you can do that, they will more likely be inclined to make your life easy. Also, if they don't do the work, it's basically their responsibility at that age and they have to be accountable - your detailed notes will make sure they are accountable for their disruptions and not you. Maybe others will have better suggestions, but in my experience, this is the best that I could come up with.

4. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 11, 2005

Hnana, I know EXACTLY how you feel! Last January was my first subbing experience and it was also for an out of control group of high schoolers! I had a serious headache for 3 whole days(I was only with them for 1 day). They were not rude or insulting to me, but they were loud and had horrible language!! To be fair, only a fourth of the students were appalling. The rest were ok. But because I am middle school I had no exposure to high school before, and we certainly did not act like that when I was in school-in the 80s I was in over my head.
    Anyway, here is what I had to do, I had to start writing up behavioral reports and sending students to the office. I got sick of letting a bunch of rude imbeciles get the best of me. I have an 18 year old son, so I'm going to let them talk to me in a way that my own son wouldn't think of doing (well, he might think it, but he wouldnt do it).
    I had to write up 2 boys on Friday. To be honest, I hate subbing at the high school, I am not comfortable there. But I am going to try to get used to it to see if it gets better. I hate having to be confrontational with kids that are bigger than me. Last week I had to scold the "captain of the football team". Plus I am only 5'4 and 125, so I don't look very threatening.
    The only reason I keep subbing at the hs is because there are many great kids there that I like a lot.
    Last year I had to bring in the principal couple times. This year hasn't been too bad. so far. I have subbed the hs 4 times and school only started Aug. 31. Let them know up front that you will write them up or send them out if the do not follow your rules (which you should have written on the board. After you have them under control, talk to some of them and ask questions, to get to know them and they get to know you. Let us know how it goes next time. You will get lots of support here.
    Oh yes, and like CandianTeacher said, leave detalied notes! If jst some of the students were terrible, let the teacher know who it was. What I usually do is write down the names of those who are well behaved, helpful or quiet. I thionk these students deserve the recognition instead of being grouped in with the bad apples.

5. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Sep 11, 2005

Yes, that's a good point, Katarina....recognize the ones who made your job easy! :)

6. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 21, 2005

So how is going Hnana? Any better?

7. Hnana

Hnana Rookie

Sep 24, 2005

I had a much better week. Worked 3 1/2 days at the high school. (One day with 4-year-olds--what fun!!!) I have learned a couple of important things that probably everyone else in lthe universe knows. One is that you HAVE to know their names. If the teacher does not leave a seating chart, I make one. If the teacher leaves one, I check roll using it and put post-its on it to show any changes. They snap-to when you call out their names.
    Also, I think I am expecting too much as far as discipline goes. I think they should understand what "no talking" means and not use that as an excuse to tell me why they were talking. I, for some starnge reason, expect them to DO the work, while their teacher only hopes that some will give it a look over. It is not worth an ulcer when their teacher didn't expect them to really do what was assigned, is it? I had one particular class (just one period) that made me want to tear my hair, though. They pushed me to a wall and I had the Asst. Vice Principal in to help me out. The second day with this class, I vowed that would not happen again but they absolutely would not listen to me. I explained their work (after spending about 3 hours at home the night before doing research, reading and re-reading their assignment until I thought I knew it and could explain what was expected) but they did it again. I started to write up office referrals but only had three forms, I needed at least 12. So, Asst. VP was called and I felt like standing in a corner to suck my thumb. That is when I decided that my idea of discipline was not what they needed--next time, they can just go at it, and the teacher will have to catch them up when she/he returns.
    I had 2 classes of geography and 3 classes of chemestry on Friday. The geography group messed around and I just told them to take the work home but did make sure that they had books out. The chemestry group was wonderful. They were testing and when finished could mess with classroom computers--quietly. Gues what? That is exactly what they did. Woo-Hoo!!!

8. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Sep 24, 2005

Hnana, I am sorry those kids were so rude. Last year I had the same problems in the hs. This year is much better because the kids are very used to seeing me around and I got to know a few of them so well, that when the others see you interacting with their classmates, they want to get closer to you too, and they behave better. Especially when they know you will write them up or go get the principal. Of course they are still a little to loud sometimes and you have to deal with bad language from time to time from a few bad apples. But you are right, it is not getting an ulcer over. I know the pay I get is not worth it. My mian objective when subbing to make sure no one bullies or intimidates others and those who want to get work done is able to do so. Stop back here and vent and let me know how it goes.
    Isn't it nice to sub the elementary level? Things are so lovely there :)

9. spedsub

spedsub New Member

Sep 28, 2005

Ditto what the others here have said. It also helps to learn names as fast as possible and call them by name when you address them. Don't rely on them to tell you their names if they're the rambunctious types; look at their papers as you walk around the room and pay attention to the names their friends call them by. Make it known you're making a list of names. If the chatty types are scattered around the room, take the names of the students who are behaving appropriately. That idea seems to work best on middle schoolers, but if the teacher you're subbing for gives positive consequences for respect to a sub., it might help.

10. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Oct 3, 2005

wow! that's a nightmare I try to never have( but have had repeatedly for years! - even when I wasn't subbing!) What you just relayed is exactly why I try really hard not to ever sub in high school.
    But what I 've learned from subbing through the older grades is take roll by making them sign a seating chart that you can quickly lay out before handing it over. Use this to call on them and ask questions to get to know them. Have a trustworthy student(ask your neighbor teachers for hints) check the roll while you are going over some basic directions. Make sure you are aware of what the school rules and policies are about kids eating in class, going to their lockers/bathroom etc. Make the ones who do have permission to leave the room, sign a separate roll sheet writing their destination, time out and tim returned. Give them 3-5 minutes for bathroom breaks especially if they close by. If they can't return on time CALL the office and tell them you have a student roaming the halls. Tell the students that this is exactly what you will do, and stick to it. Sometimes, you have to alot only "x" amount of kids per classperiod out.
    Lastly,when there are no lesson plans, make sure you have some kind of word search run off or puzzle to do. Offer extra credit for those that will work on it. Or atleast tell them you will ask their teacher to allow an extra 100 for a class grade to be put in the grade book. Sometimes reviewing some of the material and coming up with your own Jeopardy game with candy thrown to the correct polite members can really help.
    You have my heart felt congradulations for not losing your sanity or your "cool" when confronted with the rudeness of those teenagers. Do any of the neighboring teachers have any suggestions? Maybe they would be willing to take an "troublemaker" into their class if needed.
    Best of luck!