How to Survive on a Teacher's Salary

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by vivalavida, Jun 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

Is tat your share of the rent or the total cost?

2. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 28, 2012

My share. But the ~$2,000 would also be my share considering a 2-person apartment. Okay, so the numbers are a little skewed since we're comparing a 2-person to a 3-person, but the size and local would still be similar.

3. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2012

I understand it is all about location. But does the difference in salary based on where you are really make up for the cost of living? I mean, I own a 2,000 sq. ft. home that is nice as far as I am concerned and it costs me less than a grand a month. I know I live out in the burbs and there is not much to do here, but being someone who is home a lot, that is not a big deal.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 28, 2012

Do you really consider Fredonia 'upstate'? Maybe it's a matter of where you're starting fom...for me, upstate is NORTH...Fredonia is WAAAY west...:haha:

5. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jun 28, 2012

I'm amazed by those rents! When we had a house payment, it was $520 per month for a 3-bedroom, 2 bath on an acre lot. Things do differ greatly across the country.

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2012

My mom thinks it's amusing to constantly tell me that her mortgage payment on the house is about half what my affordable housing apartment rent is...:rolleyes:

7. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Jun 28, 2012

Everything above New Rochelle is upstate for me :lol:.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 28, 2012

I'm paying $950 for a 1br in Columbus, OH.

I definitely think it's possible to make everything work on what I make though. I have no debt at all. Car's paid off. No student loans. My only "problem" with living on what I make is my horse. My wonderful, amazing parents are helping out so I don't have to worry about selling him and can still compete :)

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 28, 2012

You could get a wonderful home in a very affluent neighborhood for a mortgage of about $2000 a month here. A $200,000+ home in this area is considered very nice. Even the highest end apartments (the lofts in downtown Houston) are $1500 at best.

Starting salaries for teachers are around $40,000-$45,000.

10. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jun 28, 2012

I live in rental two bedroom house. Its pretty old, close to the 1930s...plaster walls, original windows and so on...I pay 600 in rent a month. I live on the Illinois side of St. Louis.

I make right at 40k a year, but I'm in a non-for profit day school. The only thing keeping me from being pretty comfortable is my 100k student loans. I don't think I actually BORROWED that much...but so much interest as accrued.

I have three degrees...couldnt decide what i wanted to do, and went to the University of Phoenix for my Masters...and of course took out more student loans that I needed for school. That was probably the biggest mistake of my life....

My salary would be more than enough for me as a single lady to live a nice life.

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 28, 2012

We're moving out of a fairly large four bedroom apartment for $900 to a two bedroom (the apartment next to us) for $650. Seeing some of these prices boggles my mind!

12. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2012

I wish I knew what it was like to have a salary at 40k or above.

13. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jun 28, 2012

I was lucky enough to have scholarships for most of my undergraduate (probably 75% of it), and even luckier that my parents paid most of my graduate (only 1 year for my masters, but still). My rent is for a 1 BR is $985/month. Starting with a BA is around 48k and with my masters is around 53k. I just hate to imagine my Dunkin' Donuts bill (probably my second highest bill next to rent :))! If only I liked home-brewed, I would save a small fortune!

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 28, 2012

Well, seeing the NYC rents makes me feel better!! :lol:

I'm making in the mid $40ks (1st year), but it's not as good as it may sound, because our rent is a bit over $1500 for a one bedroom apartment. It's nice but not some super fancy luxury apartment - we had to hunt to find a decent one for this price!! I couldn't make it on my salary alone, but I'm married so thankfully I don't have to. We do have BOTH of our student loan debts to contend with, though...

waterfall, I am constantly amazed at the gap between teacher salaries and cost of living in your area!! It's just horrible!! :eek:hmy:

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 28, 2012

Now that I finished my Master's Degree, my salary is jumping from 60k to 64k.

Keep in mind, though, that I live in CA.

16. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2012

4,000 extra for that. ****, I think I got 1 grand. And that was right before they froze the ability to get a bump in pay for it.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 28, 2012

After all the blood, sweat, and tears that went into earning my Master's Degree, I think I deserve a lot more than 4k! :2cents:

18. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Jun 29, 2012

Is anyone else snorting with laughter after reading the suggestion that teachers should forego the fast food and the sit-down restaurant meals to save money? Yeah, in my fifteen minutes allotted to eating, I'm lucky if I get the microwave right away and get lunch heated up, let alone eaten. Exactly when is it that we would be going to a restaurant, fast food or sit-down?

I am married, so that helps with $$. His salary affords us the basics, and mine is a nice boost to help us do some more fun things as a family that we'd not do otherwise.

19. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2012

The cheapest 1 bedroom apt here is 1200/mo not including utilities. Most times you wouldn't want to live there.

20. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jun 29, 2012

On your way to school (going though the drive-thru to grab a coffee and/or biscuit), on your way home after school, on the weekends, etc. It isn't just during lunch.

The advice is sound. When I worked for the home-health company, I got into the habit of just swinging through a fast-food place for my lunch break each day, then I realized I was spending at least $5 per day (just like the article said) on lunch, so I began packing my lunch instead and saving that $25-30 per week.

21. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

I pay in the $1400-$1500/mo range for a 2 bed apt with a salary in the upper $50's/yr. I have a roommate, although I could afford to live on my own at this point-it helps having someone else to share the costs with!:thumb:

22. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 29, 2012

That's another plus about living in a small town. I don't even pass any restaurants on my way to or from work. If I go out of my way, I've got Hardee's or McDonald's in the mornings.

I don't eat out all that much anyway. Never have. My dad had a great, high-paying job and we still saved eating out for vacations and occasionally when we'd be shopping and out for the day. Guess that mindset stuck with me. I'm also cheap, which I got from my mom. No unnecessary spending.

For awhile we had people who found houses online, and they moved here without doing their research. They thought they were getting a steal on a house, and they were actually overpaying by a whole lot. Many of them had plans to flip the houses, and they ended up stuck with them or selling at a loss. Even in my small town, housing prices vary widely. My mom and I have similar houses. Mine is 1600 sq.ft. brick ranch on 1.5 acres in the country. Hers is 1800 sq.ft. brick ranch on 1 acre in town. Mine assessed at $112,000. Hers assessed at $224,000. We're three miles apart. :rolleyes:

23. mcqxu

mcqxu Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

I might be able to guess which state that is...although I guess it could be one of many!

24. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jun 29, 2012

May I ask - after union dues (if you belong to one), taxes, other government fees (EI, federal pension plan, etc...mandatory ones), LTDI/other benefits (if you use these), how much of your paycheck is remaining? I found that I only take home approximately 60% of each paycheck after all the deductions.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2012

No union dues and I have extra cancer coverage and disability insurance, but my deductions total exactly 35%.

26. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

Jun 29, 2012

my gross pay is 3340. I have 3 percent taken out for retirement (403b) (non-public school). my school pays for dental and health insurance, no union. After all taxes, I have about 2512 net pay. so my deductions are about 25%

27. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jun 29, 2012

Ah, cool. Mine range from 40 - 41% of each paycheck.

28. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 29, 2012

I have two extra cancer policies, long-term disability, an annuity, health insurance, teacher organization dues, life insurance, medicare, teacher retirement, and taxes.

That is close to 50% of my salary.

29. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 29, 2012

In my previous district about 1/3 of my salary was taken out each month for taxes, retirement, and insurance. There was no union and my insurance was just for myself (a family plan or plan with a dependent would have been far more expensive.)

I am trying to figure out how much I'll actually get from my paycheck for my next district. I don't have to pay any insurance costs (the district covers you 100% if you're just on an individual plan), but I will have a 50 dollar union charge. My retirement deduction will be the same. I figure taxes will be similar since they're all state and federal- it shouldn't matter what part of the state I live in, right? It's my understanding that only homeowners pay local taxes. I know I don't pay any local ones right now.

30. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 29, 2012

waterfall, make sure you check into local taxes. Where I live even renters pay local taxes.

31. Jayneorama

Jayneorama Rookie

Jun 29, 2012

I agree that the advice is sound, and it's why I don't go out to eat more than a few times a year. :) I just had a vision of myself having a leisurely lunch at Applebee's, with friends, during that micro-break. :dizzy:

32. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 29, 2012

It's pretty much common sense about spending money wisely, and looking for deals. Well, I guess it isn't common sense for some people.

33. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Jun 30, 2012

What grinds my gears is that I had to go to school for five years and jump through multiple hoops with testing and training to be a teacher. My husband did four years of school to be an engineer and his starting salary was double mine. There ought to be some concessions to the fact that teachers are required to have so much training, but not a lot of return on it. Why can't we figure out how to train a teacher, get a degree and a credential in under four years? Maybe we ought to go back to the idea of "teacher colleges" where we learn what we need to without spending five years and breaking the bank.

34. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jun 30, 2012

I have to agree with you, Heather. It's frustrating. My school is now requiring us to attend 15 hours of professional development each semester. I have found a few I would actually like to attend, but each cost about $50 dollars and we are not going to be reimbursed if we fork over our own money to go.

35. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2012

The only thing with this is, that if you make it take less time to become a teacher, does that remove the requirement of actually achieving a Bachelors Degree. If that happened, I think even more people would scoff at teachers. I did not go the 4 year Bachelors route, I did earn my degree in something else and then went through a 1 year program to getting a teaching certificate. But nonetheless I had credentials and a degree. In previous discussions it has been mentioned about making it harder to become a teacher so that the idea of "just anyone" can do it is not out there for society to say. I don't think it is a matter of taking the requirements down, it is a matter of taking the compensation up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.