How to stop small fires in classroom?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by VANewbie, Sep 9, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 9, 2010

I have a huge class this year. 34 students.

By the time you get one set of students quiet there is another set that has started to talk or act up.

When you get the front of the line straight then you have to work on the back. Then you turn back around to look at the front and its messed up again.

Its cutting into instruction time. I feel like I am stopping small fires all day.

Any tips or advice will be helpful.

3. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 9, 2010

I see you have early childhood, yikes 34 EC kids sounds criminal.

What is your seating arrangement like? I like a U shape (or modified U) because I can make eye contact with each kid very quickly without having to turn my back on any others.

4. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 9, 2010

No room for u shape. They are in groups.

5. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Sep 9, 2010

Ahh we had quite the little talkers today as well...way more chatty than usual..do you have a take a break spot? I started sending kids there, and finally after asking to to talk quietly 4 times in a row when they were doing individual work at their groups, I rang the chime and said that it now had to be silent because we whisper the first time we ask, and that they lost the privilege of talking for that remainder of time. (I hate doing that!)

Also, we were playing word wall bingo, and they were so chatty again so other people couldn't hear what word i was saying, (had to stop 3 times for that) so eventually resorted to turning people's papers over that continued to talk and they weren't able to play anymore and just listened while they thought about what they could do better next time.

I think I'm going to have a talk with them about the rules we made as a class again and make sure they follow them. It seems like every time I go over the rules, they are fine for some time. I keep remindining myself it's the second week of school and it takes time..they'v ehad great days, so today was out of the norm.

Good luck! Looking forward to hearing other responses on this post..

6. massteacher

massteacher Companion

Sep 9, 2010

34 students is a HUGE group! I have 25..What grade do you teach?

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Sep 9, 2010

1st. I had 23 last year.

I do not have a break chair. I will try that. Good idea.

Any other ideas!!!! PLEASE!!!!! lol