How to stop a child from constantly calling my name

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherCuriousExplore, Feb 13, 2017.

1. TeacherCuriousExplore

TeacherCuriousExplore Cohort

Feb 13, 2017

I understand that this behavior is very common for Pre K age children, however I am honestly getting annoyed at this little boy who calls my name way too much. He has an issue with bothering the other children in the classroom so his mom and I both agreed on moving him to a table by himself that is across from my desk!. Worse Mistake EVER!. No matter what I do or say he always calls my name over the most petty things. He calls my name for things such as tattling, small trash that's on the floor, things he's done at home, and things he already knows the answers too. He's a sweet little boy, but I wish he can stop calling my name over unnecessary things. It is getting to the point where it is becoming a distraction. I am always having meaningful conversation with the kids because conversation at that age fosters growth and learning, but most of the students are aware that I am busy and asks their questions a little later.
    My only option left is to move him further away from desk, but at eyesight where I can see him because he's a true troublemaker.

I also watched a video that explained that most children who are constantly doing these behaviors needs more sensory play. I may just incorporate more sensory into the learning schedule.

3. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Feb 14, 2017

Yes, I agree with your diagnosis, that his behavior is to meet a need, newly found once being moved to his island. Of course, his behavior amongst the other students is also to meet a perceived need. I wonder if moving him further away will detrimentally cause more needs. My concern is that this procedure, even if it does rectify the misbehavior, might create future problems. By placing him in a special me-only situation, he is learning that he is a special entity apart from the group, that he doesn't belong within the group during seatwork time. Ideally, I might recommend (if possible) another procedure to counter his in-group misbehavior, perhaps meeting with him prior to grouped seatwork to set a goal of what to do instead of what not to do, then checking with him to ask if he met that goal. There are positive behaviors in his calling your name. He's obeying the group rule of not leaving his seat. He's trying to work within the group to point out people who are not doing so (although, personally, I would ignore tattling). He's also concerned about group performance in keeping trash off the floor. When he tells you stuff, he's practicing interpersonal communication skills. So although these behaviors need to be redirected, at least they are positive behaviors.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 14, 2017

He's seeking your attention...he may be lacking it in other areas of his life. Find ways to give him attention for doing the right thing. And stop being annoyed by him...he's a preK kid. Find was to appreciate him and meet his needs for attention in a positive way.

TeacherCuriousExplore likes this.
  5. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 15, 2017

He's not fully isolated because he goes into small group with us and that part of the day consists of groupings with other kids. I decided to include him into group time/Circle time for the first time in awhile yesterday.
    I like the idea of inclusion, but I am afraid to move him with the kids because he starts fights. No parent want their children coming home with scratches. I understand he wants attention, but I am just his teacher. There are also plenty of other kids in the classroom that needs my attention also. He needs to be getting attention from home as well.

6. renard

renard Companion

Feb 15, 2017

I have experience in preschool (admittedly two years ago but recent enough), with an inclusive model (approximately 4 of the 20 had severe Autism/behaviors).

He needs more overall attention. An isolated island area is not appropriate at his age. Choose a "buddy" for him - likely a passive, quieter girl who isn't going to get into it with him. Either let them sit as a "two" or include him in a group with quieter, passive students. He needs positive models, not isolation. Have you ever had nonviolent crisis intervention training within a school model? This is not the kind of situation where a child needs to be isolated. Potential scratches and hits are not appropriate, but they do not meet the level of isolation at this age.

If name-calling persists, children like this (at this age group) need a reinforcement of positive behavior and ignoring negative behaviors (the exception of course, is harmful behaviors).

Johnny: Teacher! Teacher! Teacher! Teacher! Teacher!
    Teacher: ...
    Johnny: (hands up)
    Teacher: "Johnny, I like that you put your hand up to get my attention properly!"
    Johnny: Teacher, I need another crayon.
    Teacher: "I like how you asked me politely for a crayon. Great job using your words properly today".

Obadiah likes this.
  7. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 15, 2017

Thanks. Today I included him to more group activities and his attitude has went from bad to good. I am starting to use more positive reinforcement

8. renard

renard Companion

Feb 15, 2017

It can take months, even years, to see the benefits of this but it really does work out in the long run.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2017

I hate to be the grammar police, but 'has went from ...' Is just too glaring to overlook. Please use has gone. Thank you.

SpecialPreskoo and czacza like this.
  10. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 15, 2017

Thanks.
    My southern lingo always gets the best of me when writing informal.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 15, 2017

Informally.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 15, 2017

I think we need to stop this now. Thank you for your apology, but I wasn't offended - just wanted you to be aware.

Secondary Teach likes this.
  13. TeacherCuriousExplore

Feb 16, 2017

Need to stop what? I was saying thank you for correcting me

14. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 16, 2017

No, that wasn't directed at you, Teacher.

SpecialPreskoo likes this.