How to start subbing in California

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Ms.Blank, May 30, 2014.

1. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

May 30, 2014

Hi, all. I'm trying to get my substitute teaching permit in California...more specifically Orange County. I'm a bit confused about the process, as I've read different things online as to how to go about it. I've already got a bachelor's degree, and I've taken the CBEST. Now, I know I have to get livescan fingerprinted.

I was under the assumption that I send the following to the California Commission on Teacher Credentialling: filled out application, transcripts to prove I have a bachelor's degree, CBEST results, processing fee, and completed livescan receipt. I was going to go to my college and get livescanned, bringing the livescan forms I got on the CCTC website. I see that information here http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/leaflets/cl505p.pdf

But... I need to get livescanned at the Orange County Department of Education, as well, if I want to substitute for any of the districts in OC. That's fine, but their website says that I need to bring in livescan forms for the agency employing me (I'm looking here http://www.ocde.us/SupportServices/Pages/Credentialing-and-Fingerprinting-Services.aspx ). I don't have anyone employing me; I just want the OCDE livescan done! Some of the listings on edjoin.edu say they want the OCDE livescan results in the application packet to apply for sub positions, as well, so this leads me to believe that I can in fact get this done before actually getting hired anywhere. I see an ad that says they want the OCDE livescan here https://www.edjoin.org/viewPosting.aspx?postingID=564759&countyID=30&onlineApp=1

Then...on one of the websites for an OC district (Los Alamitos... I'm looking at this http://www.losal.org/cms/lib7/CA010...in/13/2012 Proc for Placement on Sub List.pdf ), they say that I can apply for a 30-day sub permit at the OCDE while I'm livescanning...does this mean that I'd only have to get livescanned ONCE, for the OCDE, and it counts for the livescan that the CCTC needs, as well?

*P.S. how recent does my TB test need to be? Mine is a year old, but this ad says I need one that is less than 60 days old...that seems a bit extreme to me https://www.edjoin.org/viewPosting.aspx?postingID=571853&countyID=30&onlineApp=1

*P.P.S. I wanted to start applying to positions pretty soon (as soon as I can get my questions cleared up, so I can get the 30-day sub permit). Do the available positions tend to fill up before school starts? If push came to shove, would it be possible to find a listing for new sub positions in the middle of the school year, or would I have to wait until next May/June again?

So confused. Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it.

3. El sol

El sol Rookie

May 31, 2014

About the TB: you should be fine as each test should cover a 4 year period. But you should also note that each district is special in its requests. This also applies to the livescan requirements. Although you do it for the credential program you are enrolling in, districts will require their own.

Positions: Subs are needed on a daily basis. More jobs available in big districts like OC. You should be fine. Good luck!

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 31, 2014

I can comment on the TB - everything else seems confusing to me.
    Different districts will have different requirements. One district needs it once every 4 years, another once every 1 or 2 years but I also tried to sub at a district where it had to be 60 days or less recent.
    I got a lot of TB tests done :)

5. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

May 31, 2014

Thanks for chiming in on the TB tests, el sol and linguist!

I know, I'm not sure why I'm so confused. I tried to explain everything the best I could...I think my bottom line is...do I get livescanned first to get my sub permit, and THEN start looking for jobs in Orange County, or do I go to the O.C. office and get livescanned there (twice, once for the permit and once for the O.C. records). I'm crossing my fingers that someone on here has subbed in Orange County and will know :) From what I can tell, Orange County is unique in their subbing process (read- more confusing than most, lol).

6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 31, 2014

I subbed in Orange County once upon a time. (Ok, just a couple years ago). As I recall, I had already been live scanned and gotten the 30 day sub permit because I was student teaching in Riverside County. I got the permit to sub in that county. Then, later I wanted to add a district in OC, and I did have to get finger printed again through the OCDE. I think your best course of action is going to be to call OCDE and ask them directly. It can be very confusing, and since I was not in your exact position, I really am not sure what you should do.

TB test - yep, some districts are rather demanding. The thing is that OC has their pick of hundreds upon hundreds of qualified subs, so they can pretty much require whatever they want.

There are new sub positions listed in the middle of the school year, especially with the very large districts (and of course OC is composed primarily of large districts), but I would say that the summer might be the time when the largest quantity of jobs is posted.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. It is VERY confusing in that area. :unsure:

7. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

May 31, 2014

Thanks for the reply, yellowdaisies! No no, your response was very helpful, thank you! :)

8. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

May 31, 2014

I hope I didn't discourage you with the "hundreds upon hundreds of qualified subs" comment. You will be able to get consistent work if you get into large districts and are pretty flexible about when and where you will sub. OC does *need* hundreds upon hundreds of subs, after all.

9. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 4, 2014

I just applied to that 60 day tb test job (and yes I just got a new test for that posting). Do you have a credential? Most districts are hiring only those who do because there are just so many.... check out what it says on the IUSD site.
    Go to the county office to get your live scan, I would think it counts for both.

10. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Jul 24, 2014

Ok, I'm replying so anyone who's researching this same thing who happens to find this thread has the info :)

I called the OCDE, and they can set up everything at their facility. There are two separate fingerprints that are needed, one for the state and one for OC itself (if you want to sub in OC, you need to do both sets). All you do is bring in your CBEST results saying you passed and a set of OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS...unfortunately, I had to cancel my appointment that I had just made with the nice lady on the phone because I did not have these. Is it normal to just have official transcript copies on hand? Well, now I know...so my plan is to have my school send me transcripts, print out my CBEST results, make a new app, and bring cash or check to the place...phew!