How to start cooperative groups?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Dec 29, 2011.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Dec 29, 2011

We've done a little in my room, but not much. I've noticed how much my students love doing this, they are very social. Any tips on how to have more of this during class time? How to get started? Thanks.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 29, 2011

Start with little things, like turn and talk. Then progress to giving them two or three tasks to work on in partners. Slowly build as the students are ready for more.

4. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

Dec 29, 2011

As a student, I really enjoy the think-pair-share strategy. It's especially effective when you want to get people who don't know each other to interact.

5. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Dec 29, 2011

You could try some of these strategies:

Assign a role for each group member such as:
    Time keeper, record keeper, reader, presenter, etc.

Start with some tasks that require teamwork and problem solving like:
    Building the highest tower with straws, cups, and tape.

During homework check I ask students to check homework answers with each other and decide if they agree with the answers.

The one that works the best is when I give groups a word problem where students will be graded on group work or cooperative work regardless if they get the problem right or not. I tell groups that they can only ask one question every 10 minutes and all group members must agree on the question being asked. This really gets them thinking about what question to ask and to rely on each other for information. The task and/or word problem is given after teaching a lesson as I wouldn’t give them a problem they wouldn’t have a clue how to solve. This strategy has worked wonders and gets them to cooperate with each other more than relying on me for all answers.

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Dec 30, 2011

I use cooperative groups in math and science and manage them using a workboard. I love it!

Here's a picture of my board:[​IMG]

There's more pics: here

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Dec 30, 2011

We have found in grade 3 they are easily incorporated into science and social studies activities. During Health lessons, we will have them work on a before the lesson cooperative activity, then at the end get back together and have them do a follow-up with the same group.

8. texaspenguin

texaspenguin Rookie

Jan 5, 2012

Definitely start small and add more as you go. I have a very social group of 5th graders (aren't they all?!) and cooperative groups work great. I start off the year very structured, then ease up once they get used to working together. Simple things like having them thank their group help, too!

-The Science Penguin