How to start a club... advice needed....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 16, 2017

At my previous school, I was approached by students wanting me to start and sponsor a chess club. I knew I wasn't returning so I told them to wait 'til next year. Now that I'm at a new school, I still want to start a chess club. In fact, I talked to the P about it and he seemed very thrilled. He said he's been playing chess and is learning how to get better. We went back to his office and he pulled up a game on a large touch screen monitor and we both played against the computer.

Anyway, who here has started and sponsored a club and what steps can I make to begin the process?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 16, 2017

I've started a club. Usually it's an easy process that involves talking to the person in charge of clubs and activities. You may need to write a club charter and hold elections. Obviously you'll need students to get involved with your club as well.

Daniellya likes this.
  4. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 16, 2017

I made a video and emailed to homeroom teachers and asked them to show it to their classes. At the beginning of the year, most club sponsors did the same so I wasn't doing anything against school culture.

I always had the maximum I could have (size restrictions were needed due to the nature of the club) so the recruitment went well.

5. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 16, 2017

I don't think I'll have a problem with having too many students interested. It's chess club. Not necessarily a hot bed for wanting to be popular! ;)

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2017

Be sure to consider the time commitment before starting a club; I've seen more than a few clubs start with a bang and end with a fizzle when the teacher had to pull back for a variety of reasons. You have a long commute and a heavy planning load, do you want to add one more thing to your plate right away?

My elementary school last had a chess club about 5 years ago; there were over 30 members from grades 3-8. I know that the chess club at the closest high school has over 50 members!

Caesar753 likes this.
  7. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jun 17, 2017

Write a combination contract and permission form. Outline a purpose, behavior expectations, and causes for dismissal or suspension. Leave room for guardian contact information. Have parents sign off. Every participant should have one.

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jun 17, 2017

Clubs at my school had to be approved first by the principal and then the superintendent. Advisors had to submit proposals and the expected outcomes. There were set stipends for club advisors so someone could not just start a club on their own. Clubs started before school so students could be dropped off by their parents or if clubs were after school parents had to pick up their child. (If a parent was late you had to remain with the child) I agree with AmyMyNamey in regards to permission slip, contract, etc.