How to stand out among tons of applicants...?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newteacher14, Apr 23, 2015.

1. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Apr 23, 2015

Hi everyone! I'm finishing my Multiple Subject credential in June and I have started my job search. I'm in Southern California and all the public school districts require online applications. I've heard that they get hundreds of applications for very few openings. I feel like I'm just another new teacher resume even though I have good recommendations. Does anyone have any advice for how to stand out in such a competitive area where online applications are required?

3. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Apr 24, 2015

Get all of your paperwork in order.

-A great resume and excellent cover letter!
    -Current recommendation letters and references
    -You don't want your paperwork to be holding you back

I've also heard about people emailing principals their resume when they see positions open at their school.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2015

A. Cover letter can make a big difference..plus:
    Where you went to school
    Experience

5. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

Apr 24, 2015

Are you subbing anywhere currently? My particular district tends to look at familiar faces (i.e. subs they see on campus a lot) when doing their hiring, or so I've been told. (also in So. Cal.)

6. cozycat

cozycat Rookie

Apr 26, 2015

I have a friend who got a job in LAUSD, right out of her masters/credential program, by going around to different schools and handing her application packet to each of them personally, regardless of whether or not they had openings. She gave her packet to about 15 schools and got seven interviews out of it with two job offers.

Like the others have said, a good resume and cover letter speaks volumes. Make sure that it highlights your experience and is easy to read and glance at. Do you have experience with ELLs and SPED? Have you had the chance to work with parents? Find out what is important for that school district and tailor your resume and cover letter to highlight your experience in those areas. You will find that your resume and cover letters will evolve the more jobs you apply to.

I've been in a position where I've had to set up interviews to replace myself before, granted it was in a totally different industry, and the time I spent looking at resumes and cover letters was very small.

Have your cover letter, resume, letters of rec, and, if possible, a letter of appeasement from your school stating that you've passed all the required tests and you are on schedule to graduate in June.

Good luck!

7. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Apr 28, 2015

Thank you everyone for the advice! I forgot to mention that I am still a student teacher so I am not able to sub regularly, but I am registered as a sub in the two districts where I student taught. I've emailed about a hundred principals and most say that they love my online portfolio but that everything still has to go through HR.

I had an interview with HR for a school district on Saturday so let's hope that leads somewhere :) Thanks again everyone!

8. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 28, 2015

Are u a national university student??

9. greendream

greendream Cohort

Apr 28, 2015

Pay attention to the formatting of your resume. You don't want to make it too generic so that it gets lost among everyone else's, but you don't want it to look so weird that it strikes someone as unprofessional.

10. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Apr 28, 2015

@justwanttoteach no I go to a UC school

11. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 28, 2015

Ahh...my biggest suggestion start collecting all the required documents For credential now. (CPR/first aide, constitution exam results or class results, test scores etc.). As soon as ST is done you're going to have to apply for credential through avatar amd it can sometimes take a while...eliminate unneeded waiting time by being prepared before last min

12. justwanttoteach

justwanttoteach Cohort

Apr 28, 2015

Through CTC

13. newteacher14

newteacher14 Rookie

Apr 28, 2015

@justwanttoteach Thank you for the advice! I will definitely prepare all my paperwork before applying for my credential.

14. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Apr 28, 2015

Does your UC have a job fair? That is a HUGE opportunity. You can actually present paper packets (as opposed to impersonal Edjoin attachments) to actual real live people at one of those. I made glossy, full color brochures and handed them out with my packets at my CSU's job fair as well as a charter school's job fair in LA (I used to live in So Cal). I got a job from the charter job fair, worked there for 2 years, and loved it. That was my second piece of advice - don't rule out charters and private schools. I took a job at a charter in 2012, when the market was worse than it is now. I did it so I could get experience and transfer over to public. When I moved to northern CA, I purposely chose a charter because of my positive experience at the first school.

To sum it up - job fairs, flexibility. Even if you get a less than ideal job at first, the experience will make it much easier to get a job next time. And definitely tailor your cover letter to each job opening on Edjoin!

Good luck. :)

15. luv2teach444

luv2teach444 Companion

Jun 18, 2015

WOW! I need to see her packet! just tell her to send it on my way - I'm across country & no one would ever know. :whistle:

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 18, 2015

cozycat, either autocorrect has done you dirt, or someone in Sacramento has much for which to answer. "Letter of appeasement"??

17. Moogeeg

Moogeeg Companion

Jun 19, 2015

I am 3 for 3 on interviewing/being offered a job. Part of that is the fact that my subject area is not very saturated and many people don't major in it. (Family Consumer Science/Home Ec). However, here are a few things that have helped me, at least at the interview stage:

1. Tell the hiring committee flat-out that you want to teach at the school! Of course, if you are just applying to a "safety net", this will show. I will say that when I interviewed for my new position at my dream school, I told them that it was my dream school! It may seem bold, but I always end interviews by reminding them once again that I truly want to be there.

2. I also created a brochure with a picture of me, an "about me" section, testimonials from students, my mentor teacher, and my principal, a bulleted teaching philosophy, and a list of qualifications. I did this for the first time recently, and the interviewers were very impressed and reacted positively.

3. Definitely email principals if the application doesn't explicitly mention not to do so.

4. Send thank you notes as soon after the interview as possible. I know that some people say to wait, but I have had success by emailing each interviewer individually with a personalized thank you. I try to also mention/expand on a point each interviewer brought up.

5. Don't let the hiring process get you down. There are times when schools already know who they are going to hire before anyone even walks in.

18. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 19, 2015

Hi There, I am also on the job hunt (again) this year in SoCal. I'm surprised you got an interview at all if you don't have your credential yet and all the paperwork in order. If you're looking at LA then they are hiring thousands so you probably do have a great chance there. If you are a young person then you can look into subbing (Anaheim seems to always hire subs first- there is a special posting just for them) and Irvine has tons of IAs. I can't do that because I have kids and the cost of daycare takes away what you make.

Anyway, yes make sure everything is perfect. Look everyday, even on the weekend. I'm thinking about a brochure too and I made an infographic too which has received good reviews. Being young doesn't mean you're out or anything. I see young people all the time at interviews. Emphasize how you are willing to help out and learn.

Can I ask what district you got an interview at on the weekend?