How to Soften the "Toughest" Kid...

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Starista, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 9, 2010

GET PREGNANT! (sorry, lads, not sure what advice to give you)

Seriously. :D

I have two boys in my third grade class this year who are notorious for being rough, tough, and prone to being bullies.

One of them is 9 going on 19.. he "beat up" a 6th grader at summer camp...

Anyway the kids were playing basketball at their lunch recess time and I was about to walk across to blow the whistle to line them up to come inside... As I start walking, the kid SCREAMS "Hold your balls! (which is humorous in and of itself) My teacher is crossing and SHE IS PREGNANT!!!!!!!"

It was so cute. He is NOT the type of kid to act like that!!

Another boy always finds a way to get in trouble.. good kid, but likes to cause mayhem! Anyway I found the way to curb this is to keep him occupied... he is my water bottle filler at the bubbler, he gets my lunch from the fridge every day, he reminds me to eat my snack at 9 AM.. In fact yesterday around 2 he said "You know, you've been standing a LOT, it's time for you to sit down..." and he seriously got the wheely chair from behind my desk for me.

It's so cute!

I am sure the novelty will wear (ware?) off but it's really special. :)

Sorry for all the pregnancy-related stories and posts of late. I promise I'm still interested in teaching! Maybe that novelty will wear off soon, too!

(But I doubt it!) :hugs::wub::hugs:

PS. I heard the HEARTBEAT on the doppler at the doctor's yesterday! It was so loud. It was 149. :angel::angel:

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2010

I'm glad that the kids are treating you so well, Starista! I'm afraid I'll have to resort to other methods for winning over the 'toughies', getting pregnant is so not on my list of things to do.

(And no, the novelty and excitement never does wear off!)

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2010

How incrediby sweet!

5. gigi

gigi Groupie

Sep 9, 2010

That is very nice that the boys are so considerate of you. And they make sure you eat! Very nice.

6. Teacher_Lyn

Teacher_Lyn Companion

Sep 10, 2010

Aw, I love that story! It's funny how our kids grow attached to us. I teach little ones and it warms me when they point (thinking I don't hear them) and tell other kids, "that's MY teacher" with pride.

I also feel like a celebrity when I see my kids while out shopping. People always turn to look to see what all the commotion is.

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2010

I teach special Ed. One day, the kids were driving me really crazy. Just getting on my nerves and stuff. I was wearing one of those baby doll style shirts my toughest, meanest kid said "don't make her mad, she's pregnant!" . I had to explain that I wasn't pregnant and I never wore the shirt again.

Typing from my iphone excuse all the atrocious grammar errors.

8. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 11, 2010

Not a pregnancy-related story but the last two months I was teaching I was in a wheelchair because of a fall (the one that made me disabled).
    Well, when it came time for lunch I always had a kid or 2 pushing me to the cafeteria and it was always one of the "Bad Kids".
    I kept a list of the kids who helped the most and gave them an award at the award assembly, with a couple it was the first award they ever had gotten in all 8+ years of school.
    The award was like a Olympic metal. As I rolled to the table at the award assembly, the kids kind of cheered but when I stood up holding on the the table they went crazy, then they calmed down I gave my little speech and when I said their names there was dead silence for a bout the longest second there ever was, and then they exploded, it was the first time I saw these boys being "shy".

I got a letter and a hot dish (homemade burritos) from one of the bad boys' mother it was in Spanish but I had it translated. The mom thanked me for giving the award to her son and told me the burritos were not as spicy as she normally made them because her son had told her that had I had told him, one time when he was pushing me, that I had "a gringo mouth & stomach " and could not eat spicy things.
    This is one of the great memories of 35 years of teaching.