How to share with my bosses I DON'T want to coteach?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by linswin23, Mar 16, 2014.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Mar 16, 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm so very excited because I am being promoted into a new job next year! I will be my school's (we are a charter) first ever EL coordinator. Currently I'm the 7th grade English teacher, and I also teach one section of freshman English. Well, I can't wait to embark on my new position and start working with our EL population, but my bosses told me that they still want me to teach one section of freshman English. I don't mind, however, I will be moving out of my classroom (so the new teacher can teach in there) moving into an office, and then sharing a classroom to teach my freshman section. I don't mind this at all, but the main freshman teacher is someone whom I've actually written posts about...I love her, but she's extremely needy. I know that my bosses will think it most logical for me to teach my freshman section in her room, which I did two years ago and didn't enjoy. It's not the fact that it's not my room, but it's the fact that she'd backseat teach my class (butt in and "correct" me in front of my kids because my interpretation of a certain story is slightly different than hers), ask for my help on EVERYTHING...even things that she knows how to do, but is too needy to do it herself, etc. I don't think I can take it for another year! Right now I teach my freshman section in my classroom because of how annoying she got last year. She still constantly calls me, texts me (after school hours) to "collaborate" on EVERYTHING and I usually end up ignoring her. Yes, I believe collaboration is super important, but not on everything single little thing. Also, I only teach ONE freshman class and she's acting like it's the only thing I have to do...when in fact I have about 160 7th graders to look after (and next year I'll be super busy working as EL coordinator). When we "collaborate" it's more of her blabbing to herself about what she thinks needs to happen and me listening. She never changes anything and it's almost like she likes someone to be there to validate what she's thinking and saying.

Thanks for the rant...I've spoken to really trustworthy coworkers about this situation and they suggested I talk to our master teacher before our admin. I just don't want my coteacher to find out I feel like this. We are friends, but I just can't stand working with her. I've cut myself off from her so much already, but if I have to share a room with her again, I think I'll go crazy! I don't want to hurt her feelings, but I just can't do it anymore!

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks, everyone.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 16, 2014

could you ask to teach your English class in a different room? Or at a time when your colleague has another duty?
    If it does end up that you are inher room, I think you should tell your colleague that you'd find it more productive and less distracting for your students if she wasn't in the classroom when you're teaching.

Good luck!

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 16, 2014

Congratulations on your promotion! I agree with czacza about talking with the other teacher in advance. What you're describing isn't co-teaching, but interference with your teaching. Perhaps you can even offer your office as a place for her to go to work while you take over her classroom.

5. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Mar 16, 2014

Exactly. When I read this, I assumed you meant actual co-teaching such as teaching a special education section with an in-class support teacher. This is totally different. I have other teachers who teach in my room during my prep period, but I am always courteous enough to retreat to the faculty room to work my prep while they are teaching. I think just having the other teacher sitting there can be a bit distracting. Perhaps mention this to her.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Mar 16, 2014

I'd have a "firm but fair" discussion with the teacher. Explain that you value her opinions, and that you understand it is her classroom, but when you are the teacher in the room, you ARE the teacher in the room, and she is the adult in the back trying to prep for her other classes.