How to seek out Private school employment?

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by oldstudent, Sep 13, 2010.

1. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Sep 13, 2010

Having been a public school sub since 1997, and having spent many fruitless hours looking for work in a public school district, I have decided that I should turn my attention to private schools.

I am hoping that being older, and speaking English only, will not handicap me as much in a private school, and I could have better luck finding "permanent" employment.

Just give me $30,000/year, and a health benefit package, and I will be a happy man.

I would like to know if there are any good websites that offer wide resume distribution to many California private schools.

Also, I would like to know if it is possible to simply walk into a school office to ask for an application and drop off a resume,or, if most applications are only accepted online.

I am not too computer savvy, so I miss the good old days when you applied for work in person by pounding the pavement.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 13, 2010

4. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Oct 4, 2010

Exactly. If I could find a private school that pays at least 30k and has the diversity I'm looking for, I'd never try to work in public schools again. As for health insurance, I'll buy mine online, lol, did it before and it wasn't so bad.
    (But public schools in this area have the best health insurance ever. You absolutely can't beat it.)

5. Subber

Subber Companion

Nov 8, 2010

How easy or difficult is it to get a teaching job in private schools if one has science degrees but not credential + subbing experience for 2 1/2 years?

I am adding some more info that I left out. I have taught at a community college on semester. I have done a lot of tutoring.

I do like working with kids.

6. Subber

Subber Companion

Nov 9, 2010

I am thinking to find a teaching position in San Francisco Bay area since I am in NorCal.

I would like more information on your online health insurance purchase experience. I am not well versed on such matters and also have very little time. So, can you share which company you bought from or do they have like for car insurance where you find an agent who can give you the best price.

7. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 9, 2010

Subber,
    It was Blue Cross Blue Shield, and a plan called Individual Blue (I don't know if all states have this). I was so ill my husband did the paperwork, but I paid $128 a month and was able to see my doctors. Good copay and good pay for meds. Still had to meet the deductible though as to be expected with any insurance.

8. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Nov 10, 2010

$128 a month is great

I am over 50 with high cholesterol and diabetes, and my Aetna PPO just went up to $404/ month.
    I will apply for their plan at $209 with a higher deductible, but if I get denied, I will have to cancel my insurance and leave my fate up to nature.
    Almost everything I earn goes to rent and health insurance.

9. Subber

Subber Companion

Nov 10, 2010

Thanks for the info. If you don't mind me asking which age range did you fall on when you purchase this.

10. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Nov 11, 2010

subber, I was 31, and in really good health according to their standards, I don't think they counted depression as a huge deal.

old student, I feel you on that. I wanted my husband to leave me off of his until I get a job, but I don't think that will be possible..

11. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 17, 2010

Subber, my private school places little value on certification, preferring instead education level and experience.

Oldstudent, the private schools I know have very specific openings and these get posted on their websites around February. Yes, you can still pound the pavement and do face-to-face, but you usually have to figure out what jobs you're applying for first.

Aside, the higher end college prep schools are actually quite salary competitive!

Good luck!

12. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Nov 17, 2010

Check out CalWest. They are a job placement agency for private schools-friendly, helpful and they host free job fairs.

Also, check Craigslist. I've seen many jobs posted on there. But most private schools in the Bay Area only use job placement agencies so they don't have to sort through all the resumes themselves-def. check out CalWest!!

13. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Nov 21, 2010

Thank you much!

In fact, I hope to someday relocate to Northern Ca. to get away from the summer heat, but it is hard to travel 700 miles for an interview.
    I have often wondered how one obtains an interview way out of their area.

14. CreativeMind

CreativeMind Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

Ha! This is an area I have a lot of experience in. My husband is a contractor which has resulted in us moving 4 times in the past 7 years. Research private schools in the area you would like to work. Read reviews from parents on them, study their teaching philosophy, look at their student to teacher ratio, and check out their curriculum. Most schools have websites today which makes this very easy to do. Don't wait for the schools to announce openings. Many times private schools hire based upon interconnections. I created a good resume, and good cover letter and then I tailored them to reflect the schools foundations and to best market myself as someone who could be a valuable member of their school faculty. Then I emailed them to the school administrators (emails and contact info found on the websites). I would wait a few days and then call the school to confirm that they had received my information and to again state my interest in any open positions they may have. I received many interviews this way and always ended up with my choice of position.

15. CreativeMind

CreativeMind Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

As far as how to go about interviewing when you are living states away....1.) Some places will interview you by phone, or conference call. 2.) You can use skype to have a more personal connection than a phone call. 3.) Pick a week when you can travel to the area you plan to move to, schedule all your interviews to be during that time.

16. CreativeMind

CreativeMind Rookie

Dec 6, 2010

As far as how to go about interviewing when you are living states away....1.) Some places will interview you by phone, or conference call. 2.) You can use skype to have a more personal connection than a phone call. 3.) Pick a week when you can travel to the area you plan to move to, schedule all your interviews to be during that time.