How to prevent teacher burn out?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by gingerbread, Oct 16, 2009.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Rookie

Oct 16, 2009

I have been a preschool teacher for about 4 years, by choice. I have education in healthcare but I found that I didn't get the same enjoyment that I did with daycare. The only problem is that I'm getting so exhausted. How many is too many hours? Do any of you work the full 12 hrs a day? I have a 2 hr lunch but still find myself very overwhelmed. I'ts a different kind of exhausted. More emotional stress. I have a hard time sleeping because I'm thinking about all the things that went on during the day. I know that I'm a good teacher I make sure that I give everychild as many kind words and encouragement as I can. But when you have the same Late parents, no pay parents, parents who don't bring diapers or lunches, who throw the kids tattlers and art work in the trash on the way out the door. How do you not feel like a door mat. Why are we treated like babysitters or worse like a drop off service? Parents who run wild and wonder why their children are so bad. Some parents leave their kids 10=12 hrs a day and when they pick them up they act like the kids are a burden. Do you think I'll get out of this rut? Or is it time to move on? I don't want to, I feel the kids need me.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 16, 2009

Sounds familar. Child Care is a burn out profession. I have no wonderful suggestions. Put yourself first, do me things, and have a good life.

4. shellie1619

shellie1619 Rookie

Oct 17, 2009

I have found that going to the gym helps me. I am able to sweat out all of my stress at the end of the day. Just try to remember to take time for yourself and as far as not sleeping, I keep a paper and a pencil at my bedside and write down what is keeping me awake and then I push it out of my mind because I know it is then written down for me to look at it later.

5. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2009

Ginderbread,
    Don't give up! YOU are there for the children! You can be the ONLY POSITIVE NOTE in their lives right now. It is hard and it's the same parents who give you that look, "You're just a babysitter!", who will have HELL to pay when their children are grown and do not give them the time of their lives. YOU are a POSITIVE influence right now SO start looking for the POSITIVE stuff that is going on. Live for the moment of your enjoyment and YOU WILL FIND THAT EVERYTHING ELSE WILL FALL IN PLACE. Take the advice of the previous posters and enjoy YOUR "ME" TIME. Don't sweat the small stuff! Just do your thing and remember NOT TO TAKE IT PERSONALLY; what the parents are doing. I have been in the PreSchool field for over 15 years and it's the same story for SOME PARENTS, BUT NOT ALL OF THEM. Remember, YOU are making a POSITIVE DIFFERENCE in these children's lives, SO HANG IN THERE.
    This is what I do. All my needed paperwork is up for the week. Daily notes are done & I acknowledge every parent that walks in and out of the room. What is needed for the day is HIGHLIGHTED. There is a weekly reminder POSTED right above the ARTWORK/WORKSHEETS folders 4 the parents to pick up. THERE is EVEN a REMINDER for the PARENTS TO PICK UP THEIR CHILDREN'S WORK. (I know that some parents do treat us like babysitters BUT I don't let that get to me. After a long day of work for some of them; THEY JUST WANT TO GET HOME, feed the kids, and get to bed, etc & be ready to do it all again the next day. For some of them, WE ARE CONVENIENT & DOING IT RIGHT! THINK ABOUT IT... IF THEY DIDN'T LIKE YOU AS A TEACHER, their children would be @ another Pre-school. YOU MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT!) A monthly calendar, with the needed stuff that the children need to do, are highlighted. A nightly reminder is posted on the inside of the door & sometimes outside of the door. I even remind them VERBALLY; I figured IF THEY GET tired of me in their faces EVERY TIME, they will do what is required JUST TO SHUT ME UP! (Nah!:lol:) I also and write on the daily notes, what is needed for the following day. THERE IS SO MUCH TO DO & I know how you feel. It's a very tiring job, BUT YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF mentally & physically or you will burn out. :angel: MAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF to unwind.:cool:
    Some of my co-workers have commented that I TIRE THEM UP! One stated, "How do you do it? You are so hyper!" My reply, "I take One A Day for Women. Catch me @ abt. 6-7 p.m. @ home! That's when I start winding down!" She asked if I drank. (How :eek:rude is that?) I don't drink or smoke. I was born and raised that way, so I can't miss anything I haven't had. Anyway, JUST DO YOUR THING and THINK :angel:POSITIVELY. THE CHILDREN REALLY NEED YOUR ENERGY & POSITIVE:hugs: INFLUENCES. It will pay off, SO DO IT 4 THE KIDS!
    Good luck,
    Rebel1

6. teacherR

teacherR Companion

Oct 19, 2009

You definitely need to focus on yourself. You have to teach yourself to shut your mind off and not be consumed by work. I do not work on the weekends, I don't even check my email. If you cannot disconnect you will implode. You also have to remember that you are their for the children. When you see those kids who have parents that are a mess, it should remind you how much you are needed. It does not matter if they throw art away or roll their eyes when you discuss their academic growth because you have given their child a special gift, a teacher who cares. I love my job every day! Not because of the adults but because of the kids. If you are looking for parents to validate your work you may be waiting forever.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Oct 19, 2009

What is demaning do much of your time each day? Is it the prep work?

8. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Oct 19, 2009

If you're working a 12 hour day, even with a 2 hour break in the middle, you're still working a very long day. 12 hours away from home is a LONG time. Is there any way you can shorten your hours?