How to prepare for RICA

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by eternalsunshine, Nov 12, 2011.

1. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Nov 12, 2011

First time taking RICA, how to prepare?

I am planning to take the RICA for the first time (and hopefully the last!) at the end of January 2012. I know that a lot has changed with RICA within the last few years. Can any of you recommend some current books I should buy to prepare? Also, do you have any study tips? Any info is much appreciated!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2011

The test structure changed in 2009 and some emphases were shifted; most of the current books and workshops out there reflect those changes. The shift to computer-based testing this fall doesn't seem to have affected the content materially: as nearly as I can tell, RICA-CBT is the the paper test ported to a computer screen.

The best preparation may be taking your reading-instruction methodology coursework and its terminology very seriously. Do do need to know and be able to use linguistic terminology relating to reading. You do need to know and be able to name and use some types of reading assessment (by which I don't so much mean brand names as I mean, say, knowing what a graded word list is good for that a cloze isn't). You do need to understand what word analysis consists of; you need to know the components of fluency; you need to know how academic language doesn't overlap with vocabulary (and how it does); you need to know ways to assess and build comprehension. You need to master and use the technical terminology for all of these, including an assortment of instructional strategies.

4. TeachingTime

TeachingTime Rookie

Nov 12, 2011

The Cliffs and Kaplan books are both pretty decent. If you Google "RICA Study Guide" you'll find a variety of options.

If you have not already done so, I would definitely start by taking a look at the content specs and taking the official RICA practice test, both of which can be found at http://www.rica.nesinc.com/RC_preparation_materials.asp

Passing the test means knowing the right terminology, having a good understanding of the reading instruction and assessment processes described in the CA state standards, and also becoming familiar with the test format and how questions are asked. In particular, RICA graders are looking for certain things in the constructed response and case study questions; you can read more about how those are graded on the NES website.

5. cordyhaines

cordyhaines New Member

Nov 17, 2011

How did the RICA go? I am taking it Dec. 12th and I am very nervous. What should I expect? Do you have any advice on the test after taking it?

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 17, 2011

I took the Rica back in 2004, I believe, but I took the test only once and past with flying colors. What helped me to prepare for the test was, like TG stated, were my reading methodology courses. By the time I took the Rica, I had already taken all of these courses that I needed to take. I used my textbooks and used them to help prepare for the test. It also helped that the teachers took time from class to help prepare us for the Rica.