How to prep when you know you will be gone....

Discussion in 'General Education' started by yarnwoman, Jul 5, 2010.

1. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 5, 2010

I know that I will be gone for part of the first week of school this year. I will be there for the first two days then gone for 3 - 4 days. I am driving my oldest to her first year of college and attending the parent sessions the college is holding. I am wondering about the teaching of procedures specifically. I am thinking that the first two days I will cover them completely and then leave directions for the sub. I am also hoping to get one of the subs that has worked at our school a lot. Any advice?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 5, 2010

Oh.... welcome to my world!!!

Two years ago, I had my mastectomy on September 10th, and was out for a month. (Classes started on the 9th I think.)

Last year, I had half my thyroid removed on the first day of frosh orientation: September 1st. I missed the entire week of orientation with my homeroom, and started the first day of classes with a lovely white bandage on my throat and a froggy voice.

The good news is that you, like me I, teach older kids.

I let the subs know what I wanted in the way of supplies. I made up an intro sheet to put up on the projector for the kids to copy-- test dates for the year, that supply list, quiz policies and so on.

My subs taught, but if you're not comfortable you could leave an assignment or worksheet of some sort.

It will work out. It always does.

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Jul 5, 2010

Thanks Alice! I am very thankful I teach older kids. If I had not chnaged grade levels this year I would probably feel better about leaving. On the other hand it is the same material that I taught when I was first hired at the school and love it.

5. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

I will be on maternity leave for the first part of the school year. This has been quite the challenge for me, especially getting ready for the first week of classes. Thankfully I was allowed to interview and observe many long term subs which makes all the difference.

I would suggest having the same back to school activities ready for the sub to do with students that you would do if you were there. I would hate to come back and go over procedures or those "introductory" activities (assigning textbooks, going over the syllabus, etc) after the kids had been with a sub. Middle schoolers start getting good at detecting "busy work" with subs- not always the easiest hurdle to recover from.