How to Pass the CSET-MS

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by crazycatlady80, May 1, 2015.

1. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

May 1, 2015

I've been going though this board and all I hear are horror stories about the CSET-MS. I will admit the test is not easy, but I need to hear how you passed it and not how you failed it. I need a job ASAP and I don't have time to take a test six times. Any suggestions?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 1, 2015

One hears horror stories from people who have horrible experiences. One doesn't hear stories from everyone, however.

For you - and for most test takers, actually - I recommend taking subtests one by one rather than all at once. The five-hour session is a strain on most people's brains and bodies. As long as you're taking different subtests, you can space them together as closely as you like (or as closely together as you can get appointments): I've known people to schedule two subtests on the same day. Nobody cares in which order you take the subtests. If I recall correctly, you've passed CSET Social Science: that should stand you in good stead for CSET-MS Subtest I, though you'll be more comfortable if you pick up some terminology in reading instruction.

4. Ms.Blank

Ms.Blank Companion

May 1, 2015

I took each test by itself, with a few weeks spaced in between them. I got a study guide from my library (I believe it was Kaplan) and went through it, focusing on the section I was about to take the test on. I passed each test on the first try. Good luck.

5. crazycatlady80

crazycatlady80 Rookie

May 1, 2015

I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum - my bad. I will probably split up the tests.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 1, 2015

I hadn't even noticed. Let's get that fixed.

7. huskerfan9

huskerfan9 New Member

May 3, 2015

Hi, I am new to this forum concept and also will be taking the CSET MS tests for the first time. I have signed up for the CSET Test Prep on line study guides and have heard and read that I should take one subtest at a time. Is there any other suggestions to help me pass the tests? Thanks for your help!

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 3, 2015

Welcome to A to Z, huskerfan9!

How are you generally as a test taker? Have you taken and passed any other teacher test?

9. huskerfan9

huskerfan9 New Member

May 10, 2015

I am ok at taking tests. I do get very nervous! I took the CBEST and had to retake the math part as I missed it by a couple of points from passing.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 10, 2015

I know this won't be helpful, but I took all subtests at once, and without studying, because in my opinion I could not study for a test that spans over all subjects in 6 years. I passed.
    I think the key to my success was that I didn't care. I already had my single sub. credential, and just did this to get the multiple sub. credential, so I had nothing to lose. Did the same thing with RICA and passed.

I think 75% reason of the failure is stressing out.
    You could take subtest by subtest, and take all the 5 hours, or you could take all of them at once and then see which one you didn't pass, and then just study for those. There's no way you'll fail each one, unless you really get stressed out.
    I seriously had no idea about some of things I was supposed to do a constructed response, and yet, it was good enough.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 10, 2015

Linguist, when CSET exams transition to computer-based, the automatic five-hour test session goes away: one now either takes all the subtests for CSET-MS or CSET English in five hours, or one takes each subtest in its own time slot.

huskerfan, the review that you did for CBEST should help you with CSET-MS math as well. The skills aren't so different, even though the application is, so your task will be to recognize the math you know lurking inside the question that, at first blush, you think you don't know.

What other than math has you concerned?

12. Elizabethb

Elizabethb New Member

Jun 6, 2015

Yes, I purchased teachers test prep video system. The 2 week access is cheaper, and you can get 20% off for purchasing for more than 1 test and another 10% off for liking them on facebook. I think it was $200 for all the tests, but it was really helpful to switch up studying by watching videos. I took typed up notes as I went through them.

I also got the cliff note study guide.

I only had a couple weeks to study and pass all of them, and that combination of studying worked. Good luck!!!