How to organize the books?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by zoey'smom, Jul 14, 2010.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 14, 2010

The last teacher had the books organized by the Alphabet. So if it was a book about teeth it was in the T,U,V box. If it was about cats no matter what the title was it was in the B,C box, but there are also books about cars or cookies all mixed together in one box. I usually organize the books by season and themes. Should I take the time and reorganize all the books so I know what there is or leave it. There are about 15 or so boxes of books so far.
    I haven't finished going through everything yet.

My other problem is finding a place to store all these books. How many books do you put out at a time for the kids to look at? Do you have a classroom Library for kids to check out books? Also, How often do you change them? I am just so over whelmed right now. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

3. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

During my student teaching, my cooperating teacher had all the books sorted by themes she did throughout the school year. She stored the books in a large closet and some in boxes (she had alot!) When we were talking about a certain theme she would bring the books out and put them in the book area. I liked this idea because the kids are reading similar books to what we were discussing in class. She probably had about 20-30 books for each theme and it seemed like enough because the kids would often just "play" with the books anyways and this way it wasnt too messy at the end!

As for checking out books, I take it your school doesnt give pre-k a library time? We had a library time but my teacher had to fight to get pre-k a time slot. I think its important for parents to read to kids at home. I would maybe try to create a parent contract for checking out books and send one at a time home with a kid. The only downside is you might loose a few. I also saw an activity where it was called a "book bag". The teacher would send home a book and an activity home in a child size book bag for the parent and child to complete together. I think I saw that on prekpages.org

good luck :)

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 14, 2010

Thanks for your reply. I just can't believe the amount of books. I am going through them right now. I putting them according to theme. Still not sure how and where I am going to store them yet.

We do not have a Library time, but I may try to see if we can get one. I will be teaching Kindergarten in the morning and Preschool in the afternoon. Between the two classes there are hundreds and hundreds of books. I am hoping to sort through and organize all of them today.

5. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

At our preschool, the 3's have their own shared collection of books and also each teacher has her own collection of books. It was overwhelming, and were always disorganized by kids and teachers both.

We decided we would weed through the shared collection and toss damaged books, donate the extra copies or usable ones we didn't want, and only keep books we LOVED and knew we'd use. We organized them by easy to file topics (alphabet, farm animals, dinosaurs, weather/seasons...) in bins.

For my collection, I separated them into 3 bins (fall, winter, spring) and put out one bin for 3 months. I don't worry about the children organizing them, just "reading" and enjoying books.

Hope this helps.

6. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

We have a very large amount of books. The other preschool teacher had the books organized by themes in magazine bins. This was a great thought until I noticed several books had multiple themes. This year I typed up all the books we had into a spreadsheet with the name, author, theme(s), and if they were Franklin, Clifford, or other books of a set. I have a couple book shelves where I have placed the books alphabetically. Depending on the theme I am on, I can look on my spreadsheet for books that fit that theme and easily locate them.

I also have a book shelf for the kids. I keep 10-12 books in it for the kids to look at. I rotate them out biweekly. I don't have a classroom library where they check them out.

7. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Jul 14, 2010

I am finding the same thing as I go through the books. A lot of books have more than one theme. Then some books I am not sure what the theme is. I do like your spreadsheet idea, but I am not sure I will have time this year to do it.
    Thanks

8. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 14, 2010

My personal books are by theme, mostly... I also have a spreadsheet to help me keep track of them. I just redid the organization to make it better reflect when I use them... I have a section that's just "classic/misc" books foro nes that really edon't fit any particular theme. For the ones that fit multiple themes, I have them in the section that I generally think about them as being, and have the others noted on my spreadsheet.

For our program books (most belong to teachers who have retired or are in differentp ositions now), the big books are alphabetized. The rest are also by themes. It isn't perfect but it works pretty well.

I keep my personal books at home unless I'm using the for that theme, so the spreadsheet helps me know what I have. At this point, I have a pretty good idea of what most of my books are, so it's easier to remember the ones that might be in a different section.

9. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Jul 14, 2010

I also have my personal book collection on a spreadsheet with Title, Author, and what themes are present in the book. I've got over 1,500 books so it took me about a month to finish my booklist. If I need books on Construction, all I have to do is open the spreadsheet document and do a search for the word Construction and the computer highlights all of those books for me.

Our Assistant Director did the same thing with all of the school's books also.

My personal books and school's books are stored on bookshelves. When the books are placed in the room for the kids to use they are on child sized books shelves and baskets.

As for how many books do I put out for the children to look at? There's usually between 50 & 100 books in our library center depending on the theme we are currently studying.

There's no such thing as too many books.

10. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Jul 14, 2010

Sigh. I wish I had such problems in my classroom...I think I have maybe 20 books TOTAL for the year that belong to school, and I'm reluctant to put out my personal books for more than a day at a time for the children. I spent so much on them...

11. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 16, 2010

I have a page about how to organize your classroom library so young children can easily use it. Scroll down to the section titled "How do you organize your classroom library so young children can use it independently?" there is a very detailed description of how it all works there. I have used this system for 10 years and it works very well with young children but only if you take the time in the beginning to model and show them how to use it, then reinforce it.

12. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 24, 2010

I am a bookaholic... I've organized my books so many ways over 10 years. I had an Excel Spreadsheet for years, but finally decided to buy a lifetime membership (pretty cheap) to LibraryThing and every year I add more to my list (so far 1,400 and probably half done).

I found that if I use 1 or 2 gallon zip lock bags and "bag" my books by theme, then put them on the shelf in the order that I use them, it works better for me. All my "back to school" books are in a couple of bags and are first on the shelf. My "bear" books are in 2 or 3 bags and put next. Then books that talk about colors are bagged and next. Numbers, Name & Nursery Rhyme books are bagged seperately, but put on the shelf together (I did letter Nn that week). I do have a shelf for some misc. books and math stories that don't really "fit" anywhere. All my books on CD/tape are in a 2-drawer filing cabinet.

I put only board books out at first, then after I teach the kids the "care and feeding, I mean reading of books" (how to "read" a book, read sitting down, turn pages, put back in same place, etc. Then REINFORCE over, and over, and over...) I bring out my "tub" books. I organize them much like www.Pre-Kpages.com . I also have a theme tub of books that the kids are allowed to read at certain times. I also have the "teacher only" tub books.

I've collected these books over the years... my own children, Scholastic book club freebies, garage sales (If you use "big eyes" and blink and tell them you are a teacher of little pre-K kiddos, they will either lower the price considerably or give them to you for free.. I know... sick... but I have to feed my habit) I've also gotten big boxes of discarded or doubles from "friends of the library" for $5 ea. I've also told parents of older kids that they can always "donate" their "old" books to a classroom... and then wait... AND... watch the Freecycle in your city... mothers are always cleaning out closets and trying to get rid of stuff... or you can request books yourself, just be specific...

Good luck.