How to organize lunch count?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Crys68, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Crys68

Crys68 Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

Hi folks...I'm a new teacher at a school where the children have to decide which meal they will have every morning and if they brought a lunch from home. This week (my first week) I've been asking the whole group to raise their hands if...etc...But I need to come up with a clever idea that they can choose themselves in the am. I would like to be able to see what everyone chose because I'm having some "switheroo's" once lunch time comes and they are promising that is what they asked for, when I know they didn't.

Thanks in advance for suggestions,
    Chris

3. iteachm123

iteachm123 Comrade

Aug 29, 2007

Maybe you can make a chart ahead of time and just run off copies for each day. You can have 3 columns: meal ______, meal _______, pack. Each student comes to your desk and signs in whichever they chose. Then you have written proof when it's time for lunch.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2007

I used to have plastic cups with picture and word labels contact papered onto them. (a cup with a lunch box for those who brought lunch, a pizza picture cup, a sandwich picture cup...You get the idea...) When the kids came in in the morning they would get their popsicle stick with their name on and pop their stick in the cup to show what lunch they were getting. Whatever sticks are left over are the absent kids (or the ones who forgot to indicate lunch preference!!)

5. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Aug 29, 2007

I just set up a very similar system in my classroom. Mine is a poster with the 3 lunch options (lunch from home, hot lunch, bagel). I put velcro on the poster and the kids will have little wooden spoons (like the kind you'd eat a dixie cup ice cream with) that they move to the appropriate column. If there spoon isn't moved over, they're either absent or forgot to indicate their lunch.

In my school the kids have to hand in a lunch ticket if they're buying lunch. If the number of tickets I have matches the number of spoons in the column, I'm golden! Otherwise, I'll know who forgot to hand in their lunch ticket (a problem of ours last year).

6. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 29, 2007

The office sends each teacher slips listing hot lunch, salad, sandwich (3 choices) I just put in the number according to who wants what and send it to the cafeteria. We do not count children who bring their own lunch. If someone switches when they get down to lunch it isn't a problem because there is always enough of something. Do some of your schools refuse to feed a child what they want if they have decided to switch?

7. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Aug 29, 2007

I have a bulletin board with the lunch menu and my system on it by the door. I have envelopes with the lunch selection next to it (Hot Lunch, PB Sandwich, Chef Salad, Bag Lunch). I have each student's name on a popsicle stick that sits in a little can under the selections. Every morning they come in and stick their stick in their lunch choice envelope. We use this for lunch count and attendance. The other day the cafeteria started asking that we put the student's name on the lunch count tag saying if they were getting pb sandwich or chef salad so they could make sure that student got that lunch because we were running in into the same problem.

8. azteacher3

azteacher3 Companion

Aug 29, 2007

I have a foam poster board that I set ontop of my big book shelf. I have each child's name on a clothespin and put those ontop of the board. Then I put a line down the middle of the board. I put a picture of the hot lunch choice on one side and a picture of the cold lunch choice on the other. In the morning the kids move their clothespin to the side that they want. Those that brought their own lunch leave the clothespin on the top.
    Depending on the grade you teach, you could write the lunch choice on a card and attatch it the board like that instead of a picture. Because my kids can't read yet I just went through the school menu and found pictures of the food on the internet and printed them out in color. Then I laminated them and put velcro on the back. So each morning I just have to find the right picture and stick it to the board.
    I hope that makes sense! It's hard to explain things online!

9. hoku625

hoku625 Rookie

Aug 29, 2007

I have a pocket chart with the student number in each pocket. When the students come in, they pull a slip that says home lunch or school lunch and place it into their slot. (also serves as attendance and behavior management because I have 4 color cards in each pocket) I teach 3rd grade so they have no problem but when I was student teaching, my CT used a similar process.

10. lee710

lee710 Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

My students have to 'check-in' right when they enter the classroom. I have all of their names on stars on the front of my desk (I have little magnets on the back so they stick to my desk). When they come in, they have to move their star from the 'Out' side to the 'In' Side. On the 'In' side, they have to place their star under what they want for lunch or if they are bringing it from home.

I also have a student tell me who is absent by looking at the desk and see who's name is still under Out.

11. Crys68

Crys68 Rookie

Aug 30, 2007

Thanks so much...Great ideas.

12. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 30, 2007

Most the teachers in my group seem to have some sort of system where the kids move something with their name on it to choice A, choice B or brought lunch. I currently use clothes pins with names on them that get clipped to little white baskets. One basket is labeled choice a on pink paper and one is labeled choice b on blue paper. 'Brought lunch' is another color. Then, I print out the monthly lunch calendar and highlight choice 'a' in pink and choice 'b' in blue to match the color labels on the baskets. One of my class jobs is clip manager and that person puts all the clips back at the end of the day.

13. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Aug 30, 2007

i do something similar to this. the second they walk in, they walk past the board to the lockers. on the board i have the choices...not here (students who don't move their magnets are not here), brought, sandwich and entree. i take attendance AND lunch count by this board. EVERYONE has to move their magnet in the morning. i always double check to make sure they did though. :)

good luck! do lots of "training"
    LC

14. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Aug 30, 2007

I use popsicle sticks in labeled cups. My conduct board has self-stick library pockets. Each child has 2 name sticks in their pocket- 1 for their lunch choice, the other stays for their conduct grade. After they unpack their homework folder, they hang up their backpacks on their hook, which is right beside the conduct board. The go get one of their sticks, then go to the front of my assistant's desk. There is one cup for lunch box, with a pic of a lunch box on a laminated sheet of paper underneath it, one for PB&J, also with a pic, and then 1 for each of the other 2 choices. I don't have appropriate pictures for all the choices, but we write the words with vis-a-vis pens. Once they get used to it, it works really quick.
    I don't have mine at my door because in kindergarten, it causes a MAJOR traffic jam!:woot:

15. Mrs. Chick

Mrs. Chick Rookie

Aug 31, 2007

I have a pocket chart (the calendar one is what I actually use) each pocket is labeled with a number (for ease of use year to year) The children pick a color-coded lunch choice and put it behind thier number as they come in the door. Hot lunch, brought lunch, milk, going home, or pb&j. This is also where I store their lunch cards for them to get them on the way to lunch each day.
    We are asked to write down each child's choice and send it to the office each day, so it is much easier for me to have their choices in number order for recording than to sort through them putting thier names on the lunch choices. This is also a super-easy way for me to take attendance because I can easily tell if someone hasn't made a choice, they aren't there (checking that they didn't forget of course!)
    I've done this system with my 1st graders for 4 years with great success!

16. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 31, 2007

Is this for kids that know they just won't be there for lunch? or can they really go home for lunch? Last year I had a student who's grandpa would take him to lunch 3-4 times a week.

17. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Aug 31, 2007

I do the same as hoku625. A poster board, pockets with each student's name, then strips of paper labeled milk (white), hot lunch (red), or home lunch ( green). Also served as attendance count. If there is nothing in the pocket, I know the kid is absent. Cleaning up the chart is one of our class jobs. That way it is ready to start fresh every morning.

When I first started we had lunch tickets and milk tickets. I was dealing with everything several times and spending at least 30 min. a day on this job! As far as them switching at the last minute, does that cause a problem for the kitchen? If not, just keep encouraging the kids to stick to what they choose that morning. There really isn't a way to monitor if they change their minds - it will drive you crazy!

18. RitaFirstGrade

RitaFirstGrade Companion

Aug 31, 2007

I use a magnetic whiteboard with pictur cards for each choice and a magnet for eahc child. Works great! You can see a picture of it in my photo gallery.

http://www.mrswright.com

19. teacherece

teacherece Cohort

Sep 1, 2007

I have their names on clothespins. They put their pin on their choice, then the messenger reads how many of each choice.

20. Mrs. Chick

Mrs. Chick Rookie

Sep 1, 2007

I just use it to represent that they are leaving the building :)

21. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2007

It's one of my student jobs to take the clipboard and have classmates initial under what they want for lunch.

22. pamms

pamms Comrade

Sep 2, 2007

That's a good idea to have one child in charge. That way you can make it a child that can read the choices! That's been the tricky part for me since I switched to 1st grade! lol
    I tried coming up with pictures, but we tend to get a lot of different choices thru the year an they change sometimes rather than always repeating.