How to organize all of my teacher papers?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heavens54, Jul 6, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Jul 6, 2010

I am going crazy with papers. I have my school stuff, which is in binders and the least of my problems; then I have my application paper packet and copies, interview articles and questions, grade specific downloads, behavior, lesson plans I have liked, philosophy of education, and other misc stuff. Right now I have them in manila folders, but need a better way. Any ideas?

Now that I have a job I need to refocus my papers. Teachers, what do you do with all of the papers? UGH! Paper overload.

Thanks.

3. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 6, 2010

Filing cabinet with hanging file folders... File it all away!

4. Windy City

Windy City Companion

Jul 6, 2010

For things like you are describing that you would probably take with you to different places, I love those plastic expandable files. They come in different sizes and you can have as many or as few "pockets" as you want.

I'm putting a link here to show you an example:

http://www.staples.com/Smead-100-Re...uct_SS1040287?cmArea=SC1:CG15:DP1720:CL141405

I use them for everything I take home because I don't like transporting regular file folders (they usually dump out as soon as I toss them in the car!). They make them in all colors... I prefer the plastic ones myself.

5. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 6, 2010

I use binders for everything. I buy the clear view ones so I can slide a label in the side. I use the clear protector pages and these divider tabs:

http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku.jsp?productId=prod2210067&history=xcxissti|prodPage~15^freeText~post+it+tabs^paramValue~true^refine~1^region~1^param~return_skus^return_skus~Y

I use hanging files for some things, but I don't really like them. I'm just very visual, so I like to see what I have, which I can do with a binder.

6. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 6, 2010

I'm with Pigeon - I have all of mine in binders. I have a binder for each "unit" of lesson plans, a binder for my teaching credentials, etc. I also have a ton of things on my laptop at home, but I've tried to have a hard copy of everything. I'm very visual too, so I like to have it out where I can see it and access it easily.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 6, 2010

How big are your unit binders? I currently have 1 1/2 or 2 inch binders by subject (for social studies and science), and I use tabs to separate units. I've thought about doing unit binders, too, because then I could even put pictures books in the binders (in sleeves).

Sorry to hijack a little! :whistle:

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 6, 2010

Now I understand why I hate coming into a classroom partway through the year! I HATE binders, and every other teacher in the universe LOVES them! Do you know how hard it was to start in a classroom in January with no filing cabinet, and only binders to store things in?

:lol:

When I was doing Behaviour Intervention, I did have two binders (actually, four, since I was serving two schools) One binder was for SST (Student Services Team) meeting notes and I had to have sleeves, one for each student... in alphabetical order of course. The other binder was for my daily plans. Everything else would be put in a folder for safe keeping and filed away. I don't want to see my paper, but I DO want to be able to find it quickly.

9. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 6, 2010

I think mine are 1 1/2 - 2" right now, but this will be my first year teaching, so I'm sure I'll need some more or some bigger ones soon, lol. I teach journalism so I have one of photography and then have tabs: settings, composition, etc. Then I have for writing formats and tabs: news writing, editorial writing, headlines, etc. Luckily I teach a pretty straightforward subject, I don't know what I would do if I had to have binders for 100 years of literature, lol.

10. prissy1

prissy1 Rookie

Jul 6, 2010

I color code my files in the filing cabinet. All curriculum lessons go in the files. Reading in pink, math in yellow, science in green....

All worksheets go in binders according to subject.

All theme papers get filed into clear bins that are labeled by the month. So, all my pumpkin stuff goes in the October bin.

I also keep a copy of each week of homework and then recopy it the next year (that was so helpful).

I keep an accordion file with a pen and notebook for all papers given during staff meetings. I keep it all year. Whatever I didn't refer back to, I ditch at the end. Hope that helps. It is so hard to keep organized! Good luck.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 6, 2010

How funny! I color-code also! For me, all ELA is blue (although I might break out writing to a different color), math is red, science is green, and social studies is yellow. I'm still working on long-term organization, though. I have tons of stuff super-organized by unit on my "brain" (portable hard drive), but the physical paper kicks my behind!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 7, 2010

When I taught I was given a file cabinet with a bunch of stuff... it was nice, but I didn't get through it all.

When I was a sub & during student teaching I got copies of everything. With all this stuff... I have scanned it & put it into folders on my computer & got rid of the paper!!! Love it. I need something I just go to that folder & print!!!!

13. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 7, 2010

After throwing out a trajillion books and papers in my classroom from the 70's, I've decided I will never gather so many papers/books/files in my classroom. So now whenever I find a new resource/worksheet/whatever, I scan it and save it in several different files on my computer.

14. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 7, 2010

Never ending isn't it?! I'd love to put it all on computer/disc but haven't a clue where or how to begin & have things orderly & easy to find. I use binders right now but they're full, so I need more + storage is becoming a prob.
    Looking forward to reading all the great ideas & how to info from everyone!