How to not get discouraged

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Futureteacher08, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Futureteacher08

Futureteacher08 Rookie

Mar 17, 2015

Hi,
    So I will graduate in May with my degree in Elementary Education. I am getting very nervous about finding a job, as my supervisors and teachers have told me that I will have no trouble finding a job as they say I'm an outstanding teacher from what they've seen me work.

However, I'm starting to doubt that. I have already applied for a couple of jobs, but just heard that they had been filled, but to keep my eye open for the district as there may be future openings.

How do I keep from letting that bring me down? I just feel as if I wont find a job..

3. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Mar 17, 2015

It is still way early in the year. Many places don't even know who all is returning next year yet. When I was job hunting last, I started the last week of May and was hired the second week of June. Keep applying but don't give up.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Mar 18, 2015

Make sure your resume is top notch, perfect your letter of interest/introduction, assemble your letters of recommendation, look at Applitrack, or whatever online application process is common in your area, and truly look at the essay questions that are common. Spend some time perfecting your answers, reflect on them.

Having done those things, you then grow a tough skin. Depending on where you are, it could be easy or time consuming to find a position. If you are easily discouraged after just a couple of applications, this is going to be a stressful time for you. I would suggest perfecting a couple of demo lessons, complete with lesson plans, that you can go to without having to stress over that - you will have more confidence.

Good luck - this is not for the faint of heart, but I believe it is worth the effort.

5. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 18, 2015

You don't even have a degree yet. There is no need to feel discouraged at all - you have the entire summer after finishing student teaching to interview. I finished my student teaching December 2013, started my job search March 2014, and have been looking for a job ever since. All depends on the job market in your state.

6. ktmiller222

ktmiller222 Cohort

Mar 18, 2015

My Elementary Ed professors said the same thing to me...3 years later I am still looking for a job.

7. cafekarma

cafekarma Rookie

Mar 18, 2015

This is just so true. Don't stop to wait for responses. Just focus on sending out your resume and cover letter as far as you can. Apply to multiple districts. Celebrate any response you get, but don't stop applying. There are a few of us here who moved out of state to find jobs. There will always be other options if you don't find a job right away. Good luck!

8. DressageLady

DressageLady Comrade

Mar 18, 2015

How to keep from being discouraged? Fine tune your resume and cover letter until they are as tight and fabulous as they can possibly be. Then apply in as many districts as you can, for as many openings as you are qualified for.

Once you have an interview, go in and do the best you can. When you're done with an interview, take a few minutes to write down as many of the questions as you can remember and the answers you gave. Spend a few minutes reflecting on where you need to improve. Use each interview as a way to get better for the next one.

And then leave it. Don't dwell on the interview. Don't waste your time parsing every single word that was said to you. Don't waste time trying to read meaning into every laugh, every nod. Just shift your attention, your focus, to preparing for the next interview. Rinse and repeat.

Have a fallback. Apply for substitute lists. Or paraprofessional jobs. Whatever you need to do so that you aren't left completely unemployed if you don't get hired this season. If you end up having an offer of a certified teaching position, you can always resign a para spot you had previously accepted.

And don't ever give up. You have worked hard to get to this place. Don't let anyone take that away from you. Just keep applying.
    Sheilah

9. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 19, 2015

Apply whatever you can afford to apply to is pretty much the case for most, and is a good strategy - unless it is something you absolutely object to doing, like being a para who has to help a student with toileting - I think most people would understand if you don't want to do something like that.