how to not compare yourself to others

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by brandy, Aug 10, 2009.

1. brandy

brandy Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I just heard that a friend of a friend just got a job after looking for 1 year. (don't know the grade or location so it may not even be a position or location that i could have even applied for, but still...) This is my 4th summer looking and i haven't gotten 1 interview all summer. I keep seeing these last minute openings but in locations that are near people i know that are looking for a job and far away from where i am looking for a job. How do i not compare myself to other people who are getting jobs when i have been looking so much longer than them? How do i not wonder why they can get one so fast and i can't? Has anyone else felt this way, if so what do you do?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 10, 2009

Maybe you need to expand your horizons in terms of job search locale. If all the openings are far away, consider looking there with the possibility of relocating. I work with teachers who commute an hour to get to our school.

4. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

I think you have to remind yourself that your particular area may be saturated with other people with your certification, there just aren't enough positions to go around, but there are plenty of positions in the areas that those other teachers are finding positions.

I feel this way too, but go easy on myself when I remember that if those people looking were looking in my area, they'd have just as many issues as I have. I won't go through another summer of only looking in my immediate area. I'm single so there's no reason why I can't pick up and move. I've just been somewhat stubborn (although, part of the time spent looking in this area was shared with taking care of ill parents) and I don't have the money to pick up and move right now. I'm going to start saving in preparation to move to just about whereever I can find a job in my state.

5. MATgrad

MATgrad Groupie

Aug 10, 2009

To be honest, I don't talk to any other job seekers in my area. They're my competition. I think this is one of the hardest things about job searching is wondering "why not me?" I just try to remind myself constantly that I'm a good teacher and some school someday will see that.

6. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2009

Try your best to not compare yourself; you really don't know if you applied to the jobs that they're getting or if they have connections that may get them interviews.

7. Teacherella

Teacherella Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

I searched for an elementary job for about a year and I was always told over and over again...great resume, educational experience, references/recommendations, etc., but there are hundreds of candidates in my state just like me and a lot of them have experience in their own classroom (unlike me). I decided to get a special ed. certification (was planning to eventually anyway) and now I have a dual certification. I just finished getting the cert. and I already have a job and have another job offer in the works. What I'm trying to say is that you might be more marketable adding another certification or relocating. Good luck!

8. Katisop99

Katisop99 Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I agree with what many of the posters have said here. I have two suggestions to add.

Never compare your personality/teaching abilities/qualifications to these other people. They are not better people than you because they've been hired and don't let yourself feel that way. If you want to be more marketable, think of it as advancing your own knowledge, rather than to compete. I feel that you'll get more out of it if it for your own growth.

I don't know you nor do I know what lengths you have taken to get a job, so take this with a grain of salt: Perhaps you can learn something from those who are getting jobs. Maybe those who are getting hired apply to MANY MANY schools. Perhaps they have certain techniques or have a way of catching a principal's eye. This doesn't make them better teachers, but better job hunters.

Perhaps you have done everything you can/they did. But if you can learn anything from others, you should! I just know that I applied to too many schools to count, and asked for a lot of advice. I tried to learn from other people's success and I feel that it helped me.

You can do this.

9. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Aug 10, 2009

Teacherella, I know your in NJ too and you are probably the 8th person I know who couldnt find a job elem ed but got a special ed cert and got a job. I'm seriously condering starting my special ed cert becasue i will hopefully be taking 1-2 grad classes this fall.Can you tell me more about your experience with that? Did you find a job while still getting your cert? You can PM me if you want, I dont want to take over the OP's thread!

and also, in regard's to brandys original post..i do this ALL the time. i cant but feel like "why me" all my friends got offered jobs this year with no effort put in yet i work REALLY hard to apply any and everywhere, to make myself shine as much as possible and I have nothing. i wish i could offer you some kind of advice but as someone who struggles with this myself all i can tell you is you are not alone in this!

10. Jlyn07

Jlyn07 Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I compare myself to others with every single aspect of my life. I'm trying to work on it but it's hard.

I compare myself to everyone that I know that has gotten a job since I graduated. Most of the people I know have the same certifications as me so I know it's not that. My issue is I stink at interviewing; I've had six this summer and about half of them were not good. I'm completely jealous of people who can go into an interview and just talk.

11. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

I don't compare myself to other people because I don't know anybody that is searching for a teaching job around the area I live in. But I do get mad that I've applied to all of these school districts and have done all that I can to make myself get noticed and still nothing to show for.

12. Junebug

Junebug Comrade

Aug 10, 2009

You know those magnets that people have on their car doors? "Excellent Teacher Looking for an Elementary Position, please call 777-7890" Almost to that point where that could be a possibility.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

Emma ~ My district just hired teachers as late as last Friday. You need to keep trying. Let me know if there is anything that I can do. Had I known that my district was still in the hiring mode, I would have sent you a pm. I think you told me you are in my area. Listen to your own words. You are worthy of a job. You will be an awesome teacher.;) If I hear of any openings, I will let you know.

14. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 10, 2009

I compare myself too ~ But somehow I always come out on top. Come on guys.... Put a smile on those beautiful faces, and start renewed tomorrow.:)

15. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2009

Thanks for your kind words. :)

I'm actually in Austin, but I'm going to now consider moving for a teaching position. I'm looking into the DFW area in particular. I can't move right now because of finances, but I'm going to sub and work a pt evening/weekend job in order to save extra for a potential move. I'd be glad to just pick up and move if offered a teaching position. My only requirement is that it's in or near a large city.

16. brandy

brandy Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

thanks everyone

feeling better now, not quite as "why them and not me" as i was before. Always nice to know that others have felt the same.
    thanks again
    brandy