How to Move Efficiently

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JRafko, May 24, 2013.

1. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

May 24, 2013

Hello I am currently in South Eastern Michigan and plan on moving to South Carolina Charleston area. I need to find the most economical way to move all of my stuff from A to B. Is there any way in which you wished you would have done differently? Advice?

Thanks

3. TeachTN

TeachTN Comrade

May 24, 2013

What are you moving? When I moved from NY to TN, I used a Pod type thing. I was moving just myself, no furniture (though they make larger ones to accommodate furniture), and made a few trips between where they had my pod (some companies may deliver it right to your new place) and my (then) apartment. The downside is that if you are moving furniture, you then have to move it into the new home on your own.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 24, 2013

I moved from MI to NC. I evaluated my things- my living room furniture was 25 years old (it was my parents). I decided to leave most things behind and buy new things when I got there. It wasn't worth the cost of moving them. I (my mom) towed a UHaul trailer down.
    Now, as I am hoping to move BACK to MI this summer, I will probably rent a big UHaul type truck to move back north. I want to do it as cheaply as possible, and this is the cheapest way.

5. redtop

redtop Companion

May 25, 2013

1) Get rid of stuff you don't need. Movers charge by weight, so lean toward dumping heavy stuff.
    2) Go to a moving store and stock up on boxes, tape, paper, bubble wrap. Don't skimp on the wrap unless you want your stuff broken.
    3) BIG saving - look on Craigslist for boxes and such. Many people will run ads that say "My moving boxes are sitting in the driveway, come take them away." I have gotten a lot of boxes in practically-new condition this way.
    4) Consider renting a truck but hiring a moving crew at each end to load and unload. By "Moving crew" I mean two or three guys who will work for a few hours and probably charge $20-$25 per man-hour.
    5) Don't buy anything without checking at Walmart or Sam's Club/Costco/BJ's first. It would be quite a shame to buy a roll of bubble wrap at Lowe's for $15 and then find out Walmart had it for $10. UHaul had a great selection, but their prices are not cheap. Lowe's has really good prices on moving boxes.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 25, 2013

I buy new trash cans and pack in them. I also use towels, sheets, and blankets as wrapping. I pack small cherished items in suitcases with clothes. I also throw away those cheap hangers that we all get--those things weigh more than you think. Clean out closets now.

7. JRafko

JRafko Rookie

May 25, 2013

I am moving from MI to SC, it seems like if I rent a UHaul it will be around 2,000-2,500. Unless I am mistaken they charge per mile and that will be a big cost, although I do need to look into it. If I had a truck it would be much more beneficial because I could get a UHaul trailer.
    Can you use the pod service across states?

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 25, 2013

Yes, you can use pod services across states. ABF UPack is another option.

I know when I moved from MI to NC in 2007, the people at the UHaul place said that it is WAY more expensive to move south than it is to move north. It was due to the fact that so many people were leaving- UHaul would have to hire people to go down to the southern states and drive trucks back up to MI.

Check Budget and Penske. I can't remember which, but when I was checking prices to move back to MI, one of them were quite a bit cheaper. And all three usually have unlimited or very high mileage limits when you are moving one way, so that shouldn't be an issue.

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

May 25, 2013

I just typed from my home town in MI to Charleston. It said you get it for 5 days, 1110 miles. The cost for the biggest of the trucks was $1,879. The smallest was $1,383.
    (For Charleston to my hometown, it ranged from $580 to $801! Way cheaper to move to MI!)