How to mount word wall?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Erin Elizabeth, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 12, 2006

My classroom is kind of a weird shape, and the only wall space available large enough for a word wall in on a wall of cabinets. The teacher in the room before me had the words taped to the doors, but I want my kids to be able to come take a word back to their seats and replace it when they're done. I was thinking to cover the cabinet doors with felt, and then use velcro on the back of my laminated words. The only question I have is how do I mount the felt pieces? I am only going to be in this room for a year so I don't want to do anything too permanent but it needs to be sturdy enough to be used by my 1st graders. Any suggestions??? :thanks:

3. born2teach84

born2teach84 Comrade

Aug 12, 2006

not sure if this will work for the younger ones, but because I have zero wall space what I did was take the pockets that come in the back of library books and mounted 26 of them on a poster board and then wrote the letter on the front. Then whenever we added a word we wrote it on the index card inside the pocket. This doesn't help if you want them to be able to always see the words, but in my exp. they never looked at the word unless you say check the word wall. So now when they question a word I know is on there I tell them to take the card out and find the word. If they are unable to find the word I have three students whose class job is to help the other students if needed read the card to find the word. Hope this makes sense. The poster is hung on a bookshelf in the back!!

4. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 12, 2006

You dont even need to mount a big piece of felt. Look at Walmart or a Craft store for velcro dots. The backs to both parts of the velcro are adhesive. You can stick one dot (the rough part of the velcro) on the cabinet door and stick the dot with the fuzzy part of the velcro on your word card. The adhesive works well and will last all year.

5. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 12, 2006

Oh, I didn't even think of the dots! I just may do that - thanks for the tips!

6. WITeach

WITeach Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

Stikki clips work really well on my cabinets in my classroom. If you laminated the words they would clip in there nicely. My other suggestion would have been velcro. :)

7. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Aug 12, 2006

velcro dots are awesome. This year I've been all about those little velcro dots and clear plastic hooks :p I even velcroed my Alphabet to the wall!

8. KIF

KIF Companion

Aug 12, 2006

Sortable and Sticky Post-its

Have you seen these new index cards? I have no idea if they would work but I just got a sample of them from Ofifce Depot for teacher appreciation day and thought they might work. Not sure how long they would stick with little hands over them.......

9. KIF

KIF Companion

Aug 12, 2006

Another idea

What if you made clear pockets out of laminate and kind of made the cabinet into a pocket chart. You know that extra laminate that you get that is just clear? Taping that on the cabinet would allow you to see the sentence strip underneath. Plus.....it may last until next year! Or some other type of clear plastic (poly folders, etc.)

10. mrsnoble116

mrsnoble116 Companion

Aug 12, 2006

what about stikki clips? It's a wax type back with a clip. The word (if on index card) would fit right in the clip and the kids can easily take it out and put it back.