How To Make the Most of the $5.00 Staples Minimum

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by CFClassroom, Jul 16, 2010.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2010

It seems like a lot of teachers are really fired up about the minimum that Staples has put in place this year. I don't think it is unreasonable, but there are ways to make the best of it. There have also been a lot of complaints online about the lack of consistency between the different locations.

I'm on Team Teacher by default, but, I also see the business aspect of it so it makes sense to me.

I checked with Staples and their policy is that they will price match if you bring in a printed ad from a local store with the same product.

I was going to go to Walgreens anyhow to buy me some love in the form of a colorful Sharpie 12 pack at the bargain price of only $3.99 and who can't use a box of Crayola washable markers for only $1.00. Sure they will probably be on sale for a mere .88 cents in a few weeks, but we need a little give and take here.

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2010

I think that the $5 minimum is completely reasonable. And that Staples traditionally has been incredibly kind in terms of letting teachers buy a classroom's worth of the penny products, when the posted limit is often 2 or 3.

As teachers (and for some of us, parents) its easy to find $5 worth of office supply stuff to buy.

I say we don't get around the rule, we go along with it.

4. S Dubb

S Dubb Comrade

Jul 16, 2010

I agree with Alice. Would it be nice if they didn't add the $5.00 minimum? Sure it would! But think of it this way. You can get 25 pocket folders and 200 pencils (25 x 8/pack), plus anything else that you could use around the house or classroom for $5.50. Still a pretty good deal if you ask me. There's always something at Staples that I could use, so I don't mind dropping the $5.00 if it will get me that item plus the school supplies.

5. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Jul 16, 2010

Just so you know, I have knowledge that Staples can track the purchases through the rewards card. If lots of teachers return the $5 item, I think that would eliminate the desire to offer penny sales in the future. I think the reason they did the $5 min. was that they couldn't justify a penny for so many items without some benefit to the company. We don't like it when people take advantage of us. (you know, when you tutor and the kid's mom doesn't come to pick them up until 20 minutes after their time is up. Every time. No apology. No remuneration. You know.) So Golden Rule, people. No offense Iheartrecess, but I think the return thing is just bad news. I hope you will add the Rewards Card info to your very good blog. I want penny pencils next year!:)

6. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2010

I'm not opposed to it, but there were a lot of teachers who seemed put off by it. It's helpful to be able to combine other sales and get the things you really want.

If there isn't anything else you need at Staples, it's better to get the 15 cent folders at Walmart for $3.75...esp if you aren't spending exactly 5.00 at Staples. I initially was going to buy the Sharpies there, but they were priced at 8.99 vs the 3.99 price at Walgreens. I ran out to the car and grabbed my walgreens flier and saved the $.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2010

I usually make this 'speech' during the Teacher Appreciation Day events at Staples and Office Max, but here goes:

I'm a former marketing major, my original college degree is a BS in business and had a career in sales and marketing before becoming a professional educator. The crazy penny sales and VERY discounted items you are seeing in store ads (crayons for 12 cents, pencils for 19 cents, etc etc) are called 'loss leaders'. The stores are not making ANY money on these items(sometimes they are actually selling the items at BELOW cost)- they are enticements to get you into the store where you will hopefully spend money. Hate to break it to you, but stores are in business to make money, not to give away items...even if you are a teacher. Surely, you can find some other items that you need on sale on which to spend your $5 minimum.

Think about it, would you want your students to figure out the 'loopholes' to get around your rules? Will you be teaching your kids how to scam? :2cents:

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2010

I don't think I have ever gone into Staples and spent less than $5.00--I would happily spend $20.00 (or even more) to have access to the "deals" that are available. Here in Canada, we don't have the penny sales and deep discounts you have. Buy what you can to support the stores who are offering this to you--at a loss to themselves.

9. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Jul 16, 2010

I, also don't think it is unreasonable at all. I needed sheet protectors, so got a $5 pack and they let me get 25 each of the penny items. I don't usually shop there, though, their prices are generally too high!

10. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jul 16, 2010

Since I went to several different Staples, I had to stop myself from buying too much at each store. I could have easily spent $40 at the first one, but I spread it out through all of them so I could keep getting the penny items.

Now I need a full class set of the pencil box sliders (0.25) so I will have to get back in line over and over. One of the Staples by me has a great staff and they are okay with me doing that.

So spending $5 for me at Staples is easy cheesy.

11. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Jul 16, 2010

I was going to say something like this, but you saved me the typing.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2010

Glad to be of service!:blush: