How to Make EVERYONE Participate in Class?

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by soon2bteacher, Feb 8, 2009.

1. soon2bteacher

soon2bteacher Rookie

Feb 8, 2009

Hi everyone, I am looking for some good ideas regarding how to get EVERY student to participate in discussion. I certainly don't want to put students on the spot and make them feel uncomfortable, as my classroom is a safe environment. However, it is important that everyone pitch in... a little "stress" on the brain can be a good thing, if they know they are expected to participate. Anyone have any good ideas on how to make everyone pitch in each class period? I'm trying to find an effective "system" in which each student is required to speak at least once. What do you all do? THANKS!

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2009

I assign a playing card to each of my desks, and when I feel the need to get more kids involved, I pull out my deck and just draw cards at random. My seniors don't seem to mind this because it's completely the luck of the draw.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 8, 2009

I use sticks with the students' names on each one, and just pull from the cup.

5. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2009

I just did an observation of a high school English teacher who uses a Star Chart that rewards participation and gives points toward their final grade at the end of each semester. If a student makes a positive contribution in class - he gets a star. For instance, the teacher was going over a Greek play and came across a word he wasn't sure of - a student (without being asked) looked up the word, raised his hand, and gave the definition. That earned a star. These charts are displayed on the wall during each class so the reward is tangible and they were done in a more mature style than an elementary school Star Behavior Chart.

Mrs. K. - I love the playing card idea. There's a "cool" factor to it that would really appeal to secondary students.

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Feb 10, 2009

I have the option for all children to ask for help if needed. I also work on building a understanding that we all need to respect where ever other people are. I have a rule of no easy and no boring being used to describe the work. I also draw names to give everyone the chance.

7. Piglette130

Piglette130 New Member

Feb 11, 2009

I do this too and it works like a charm. My kiddos feel like they need to pay attention because you never know when Mrs. B will pick your name

8. Miz Liz

Miz Liz Rookie

Feb 11, 2009

I give students time to think of their answers before I start calling on students (do think-pair-shares) so the slow-processors have time to process/check their work with a buddy. THen I pull sticks so the students are on their toes, but aren't too nervous because they have the answer.

In college I had a prof who gave each of us 2 poker chips and each time a person talked they put in a chip. You could only talk 2 times until everyone in the class had used up both of their chips. THis helped the constant talkers to listen more to others and allowed the more quiet students to choose when they were going to talk. I actually hated the activity but it was effective.

9. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Feb 17, 2009

Give the kids a chance to talk in pairs. Just walk around and listen to the pairs talk. Don't worry that when it is whole-class some kids don't speak outloud because I bet soon they will talk outloud.

Case in point--I have my quietest student ever this year. When she and her neighbor would share together I would have to lean over her desk to hear what she was saying to him. After a few months, all of sudden she raised her hand in class to answer a question. I was astonished. Now she raises her hand at least a couple of times a week. That's great improvement.

10. simplicity

simplicity New Member

Feb 18, 2009

I never use hands up. The best way is by giving each table a number and each person a number. You can download computer spinners, so choosing people in a random way.

This means that anyone can be expected to answer the question.

I also agree with previous post related to Think-Pair-Share. Try using a whiteboard to get kids to write down responses and then Share with the class :)

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 18, 2009

You can also use the Power Teaching "Teach-OK" strategy.

12. letty21

letty21 Rookie

Feb 27, 2009

It's true alot of students don't like reading in class or evening talk a little bit in front of the class. When your student is about to read in front of the class, it feel great to be in a group standing up togther, its a group thing and each student needs to say something. When i was in school i didn't like going up with out my group, it was fun having my classmate up with me, and than the next week it was not so hard for me any more and i got in front of everyone and it was not hard any more.

The other thing i will do is, if each student gets up and answers the question right or wrong i will make a goody bag and tell my students, i am very proud of you. Its hard to talk in front of the class, but teacher care about what they say and will love to hear what they are thinking, it doesnt matter if the answer is wrong, what matter is that you got up and talk about the questions, that is what i will tell my students.

13. letty21

letty21 Rookie

Feb 27, 2009

It's true alot of students don't like reading in class or evening talk a little bit in front of the class. When your student is about to read in front of the class, it feel great to be in a group standing up togther, its a group thing and each student needs to say something. When i was in school i didn't like going up with out my group, it was fun having my classmate up with me, and than the next week it was not so hard for me any more and i got in front of everyone and it was not hard any more.

The other thing i will do is, if each student gets up and answers the question right or wrong i will make a goody bag and tell my students, i am very proud of you. Its hard to talk in front of the class, but teacher care about what they say and will love to hear what they are thinking, it doesnt matter if the answer is wrong, what matter is that you got up and talk about the questions, that is what i will tell my students.

14. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Feb 28, 2009

I use sticks with the students names on them also and just pull sticks.....I am in elementary though so I don't have many problems with students not wanting to answer....they want to participate a little too much! :)

15. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Feb 28, 2009

I am with smalltown. To make sure both partners are talking you can use the Teach-OK with the SWITCH! added.

16. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Mar 4, 2009

Random sticks, cards etc. which several have suggested are excellent ideas. When I was in teacher training we had a unit, Questioning Strategies, which examined group discussions, who gets called on, think time, etc.

Think time as suggested by Miz Liz helps many shy and less confident to participate. It also helps to keep Smarty Pants from always blurting out an answer or waving. Tell students to sit on their hands. You will ask class a question but no one is to raise hand to respond until you signal. Ask and wait ten seconds - count silently.

Still, some may not respond like shy, Larry. Call on Larry to choose someone else in the room to answer question - say, "Larry, I want you to pick a quiet hand to answer."

Don't want to leave Smarty Pants out so when Larry chooses a classmate announce to Smarty that you want him/her to paraphrase classmate's answer.

Boards - If you really want to get full class participation consider small dry erase boards or paper and have class "show me your answer" after think time.

Suppose you get a kid when called on goes "I don't know" or "Huh?" or "What?" -- that smart allecky response designed to get them out of the lesson. Don't let them bail. Also, don't want to embarrass them. Say, "Larry, I want you to find the answer. It's on page 64. I'll come back to you." Go on to other students with other questions and back to Larry when he has had time to find answer.

17. kguzman

kguzman New Member

Mar 4, 2009

Maybe you should make your delivery of instruction more interesting for your students. You can use activities that would require your students to think and at the same time enjoy what they are doing. Playing games may also be used to acquire student participation. Another is by using reinforcement, use rewards or praises to motivate them.

You can also try using a Cooperative Learning Approach wherein students work in groups or teams to help each other learn (Think-Pair-Share, as mentioned, is one example of structure under Cooperative Learning). Another example is the Roundrobin wherein each student in turn shares something with his or her teammates.

These are just few things you can do to acquire student participation/involvement. Hope it helps! Good Luck!

Guzman, Kara
    Bachelor of Elementary Education Major in Special Education
    University of Santo Tomas

18. nayelismom

nayelismom Rookie

Mar 7, 2009

It depends what grade. You can't MAKE any kid participate. If you just go with whoever raises their hand, you'll have those kids who'll fall through the cracks. I use the sticks because I have third graders. However, in high school, some of my teachers made participation a part of your grade and every six weeks you had to have a certain number of participation points in order to get the maximum grade for participation. I had some college professors do that as well.

19. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Mar 7, 2009

Participation is a tough area for me. My class has many discussion, debates, socratic seminars, etc. for me it difficult to force the quiet students to talk. It seems to me that if I did that I would be punishing them for their personality. However, I will give students a 0 during graded discussions if they do not speak (debates and socratic seminars mostly) because I tell them ahead of time that they must do so.

20. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Mar 7, 2009

I give table stars to the groups who have the highest participation. When I only see 1 or 2 hands go up I say, "I guess we only have 2 smart kids in this class." Both of these work very well for me.

21. AKTeacher

AKTeacher New Member

Apr 23, 2009

I like putting students together in pairs to discuss things-- I have an extremely shy group of students though, and sometimes when I try this neither of the two really says anything. Have you ever had this happen? Do you have any suggestions on ways to convince *two* really shy students to discuss something?

22. capfortune

capfortune Rookie

Apr 23, 2009

The first thing you need to do is establish an atmosphere in your classroom where children feel comfortable speaking in front of the other students. You need to have a session with the class where you explain your expectations
    1. Everyone's opinion if of value.
    2. No one is allowed to laugh at someone else ideas.( this needs to be firmly enforced)
    3. No one is to interrupt the speaker.
    As the teacher you need to to encourage every speaker with a very positive comment. All children will at least attempt to participate if they don't feel threatened in any way.

23. estrellita

estrellita Rookie

Apr 28, 2009

:whistle:i have late 3 and 4 years old. every morning we do are morning activities, but i still have like five children that just sit there looking and not participated. i started to get the puppets in the morning activities. :eek: in order for you to hold a puppet you need to participated in the group and it those work. i started with 17 children just looking and know i have only five.:thumb: