How to make engaging

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Mdsilva, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Mdsilva

Mdsilva New Member

Aug 29, 2012

Hello all!

I apologize if this topic has been brought up before. I have not had a chance to really look at old posts. I just want to see if I can get some help soon and get the ball rolling in my classes.

I am a middle school teacher for a Christian school. I have just acquired a World History and a U.S. History class this year and would really, really appreciate ideas of how to make these classes engaging. I do not want to just read the book and answer questions. These classes are after lunch and these kids are already wanting to take a nap. :lol: I was thinking of maybe having kids responsible for reading certain sections and then giving a summary that others take notes on or something the that affect. I do have a few movies in mind for lesson later down the road but, again, would really appreciate some more thoughts and suggestions.

thank you for any time you give me on this!

:rolleyes:

3. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Aug 29, 2012

I teach MS WH! The content is fun - Medieval to Early Modern (of course there WILL be some topics that are more interesting than others). I like to mix up the monotony of note-taking with some group work every now and then (creating posters, charts, etc.). I also like to have kids do some primary source analysis (this will be important once we really need to dive into the CCSS). Group discussion - they love to talk, since they like talking so much, give them discussion questions that are 'under the surface'. Time permitted, a simulation or a play every now and then. Over all, the kids will be really into themselves (they're in MS!) so bring it all back to how it relates to them. I've also taught 8th US, so that one might be easier for them to understand/relate to as its more linear and 'current'. Since they feel 'nappish' after lunch, have them be responsible for an exit ticket/ticket out the door at the end of the period to keep them on their toes and this allows you to see what they got/didn't quite get. - Just make sure the questions are over-arching and not just about a fact you went over that day during notes.