How to make contacts with other subs in the district?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Subber, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Subber

Subber Companion

Aug 23, 2010

Hi,

Well, one district I sub will start school in 2 days. The other, at least the highschool, started in the middle of the 2nd wk of August. The Thursday night before last Tursday, I got a call from the SubFinder (actually called called something else). (The district has disabled the sub's ability to grab jobs. It seems that in order to get their preferred subs, the school just block the other subs from thier list.)

I do not know whether the job was for the high school that I liked subbing before the summer came or for an elementary school. I had my cell phone ringer off, assuming that the school wouldn't be calling yet. Since then, I heard nothing from this district. I have been wondering whether missing that call is costing me. So, I called the ONLY sub I know in this district - I know him only because he attempted to cheat on his wife with me - and he said he hasn't heard anything either. He seemed embarrased that I ran into him and his wife in a store. So, he said he's in a hurry and couldn't talk; didn't say he'd call me back either. He usually has lots of info about the district. It's kind of makes me feel good that it wasn't just me that the system didn't call. This district is small and I had made the mistake of taking middle school PE assignments that costed me lose offers from that school. The kids (higher grades) from nearby classes would walk tthorugh the open area where the PE was conducted in the middle of the PE class; my voice got lost in the open space while I was having headcahe in the heat, etc. The battery to the cassette player was hard to put in which took my time to get other things ready in the morning. She didn't place things I needed in visible view (in the cart) either. So I wrote on her board with the wrong marker. At the end of the day, I had yard duty and then I had to head to my class at the college and so didn't have time to erase. Not that I could leave the darn carts and boards, etc. to go get the chemicals; I had a hard time unlocking the classroom door to put things back but luckily, I got it unlocked just in time to run to the yard duty. If I leave the carts and the borad outside the door, things (balls, etc.) would get stolen.

Anyway, in short I don't sub PE anymore. I did like that school. It's funny how they'd remove you based on one teacher's complaints though she failed to make sure that certain things like dry-erase marker are easy to find while forgetting the many good experience the school have had with me in other classes. That PE teacher probably wrote me off though I left a short note since I needed to rush. It's obvious that the school doesn't take into consideration that I had to run to yard duty, etc.

Anyway, now I am wondering how to go about making contacts with other subs so that at leats I'd get some news. How do you guys do it?

Pardon me if I have spelling error.

3. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

Hello. I guess you can ask the secretaries/principals at the other districts if you can get ahold of the subs there.

Beyond that I am not sure.

I hope you get some contacts!

4. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 24, 2010

I've been subbing for my large district since Jan. 1999 & I've never had access to any other subs' contact info at all. If I ever asked the office, I doubt they'd give me any sub's info for security purposes. My district has never had any kind of meeting whatsoever specifically for subs, except the one at the very beginning when I first became a new sub & was going to the orientation meeting. I'd say I can count on 1 hand the # of subs I've ever met, but it was in passing.

5. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

One way to meet other staffers is during cafeteria duty. I got friendly with one lady. Her story touched me: single mom, 3 kids, no health care. I felt guilty whenever I was at the school and didn't see her. I pictured her in her tiny apartment sitting by the phone, kids crying. I just pray she has something full time now.

6. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 24, 2010

I wouldn't recommend asking school personnel for other subs contact information since its none of your business. If you have a question about how the sub system is working this year I would call human resources or the person in charge and ask.

I have subbed in my district for 5 years now so I am friends with many of the subs and teachers on FB....however when all is not fair with who gets called and when, you really don't want to share info on how much you worked when other aren't getting called everyday....it could turn into negative gossipy talk which is what you don't want while trying to stay professional.

7. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Aug 25, 2010

Good points.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2010

Your best route is not contacting other subs- they are your competition. Instead, make a package or business cards and drop off at all schools/districts within a reasonable commuting distance. Dress professionally, smile, and speak confidently. You probably won't get any further than the secretary but do say that you are aware that they probably use a sub service, that you are signed up for the sub service, but that you wanted to drop off your information so the school could put a 'face with your name' and that you'd appreciate being considered for any upcoming sub opportunities. Ask the secretary to leave your package/business card for the principal, thank him/her for their time and consideration.

9. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Aug 25, 2010

I keep in contact with teachers I went to uni with, some have their own classrooms and some are also supply like myself. Also after a while I sometimes start seeing the same subs working at the same schools as myself, so purely through conversations while at schools during lunch breaks to I find out what is happening with others.

10. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 25, 2010

Our administrative assistant is the one who contacts subs if we need one last minute (and recommends them to teachers). It would be perfect leaving a packet at the office at my school-I'm not sure how it works at other schools though.