How to Make a Division "Box" in Word

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Rayzen, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Rayzen

Rayzen New Member

Jul 22, 2015

Has anyone found an easy way to make a division "box," using Word? I mean the one that looks like combination of a left-hand parenthesis symbol with an overline bar, not the "./." symbol. There is a way that I have seen, but it involves a complex, unwieldy bunch of programming code that is just too impractical to go through, if you are trying to make some division practice problems. The Open Office program has a nice "overline" option that you can choose, which works great, but Word doesn't seem to have that function, and if I were to write the problems in Open Office, they would lose their formatting, when saved in Word. I need to be able to send the finished page in Word.

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 22, 2015

I don't have Word on my home computer (I use Corel) but as I recall, you just go to "Insert" and choose "equation" and then look for the math symbol you want.

Hope that helps.

4. SummerIsTooLong

SummerIsTooLong Rookie

Jul 22, 2015

You could use Alt 0247 which makes ÷. Or for the actual box you can use this:
    Insert tab
    Object
    Object
    Microsoft Equation 3
    Then hover over the Fraction and Radical Templates (2nd from left on the bottom row) Click this
    Scroll down to the bottom and there are 2 division brackets to choose from.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 23, 2015

I always just copy/paste an image of one from Google.

6. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 24, 2015

Can you use an underline with the parenthesis below it? It may not keep its formatting though. You could use columns or a chart with no borders to keep things aligned.
    _____
    )