How to list on resume

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by SuperSide, Sep 28, 2011.

1. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Sep 28, 2011

I am working on my Profile on my resume. And I know it is always good ot put quantitative data on there.

At my work, I was put in a dieing program. There was 1 student in my class. After I started we went from one class to five (taught by me). As these number impressed funders we were given funding for an additional 4 classses (covering different subjects).

How can I list this as a percentage or even another form.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2011

Increased number of students served by __%, as a result. Funding increased by---%

4. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Sep 28, 2011

I like the first part, but unfortunately, it would be difficult for me to get the exact funding info without tipping my hand (letting my boss know I am preparing to get a new job).

Percentage wise, what does that work out to?

1/9= 11%
    1/7= 14%

Do I subtract it from 1? An increase in classes shouldn't result in a decrease in percentage?

Or is is:

9/1 = 900%, which doesn't sound realistic or credible...

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2011

I'm sorry. I'm totally lost-- from the moment you mentioned a "dieing program."

I'm a math teacher. I would be happy to help, but I honestly have no idea what you're talking about or where you're getting those numbers.

6. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Sep 28, 2011

Okay, I will try to clarify.

The dieing reference comes from the fact that when I started the class was on the verge of being shutdown. When I entered (as a temporary replacement) there was 1 student left in the class..

Anyway, long story short I was hired, and as it turned out if any changes were to be made to the program I would have to do them myself...

The classes grew through my reputation. The one class became two classes, and eventually turned into 7 (all of which I taught). Students who finished my program wanted a more challenging class, so I developed another curriculum for that (bringing it to 9 classes).

In terms of percentages (or any alternate ways), what is the best method to show this growth on a resume?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2011

Super...in the US, we spell it 'dying'. Maybe that's part of the not understanding.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 28, 2011

So, what did YOU do to increase those numbers?

9. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2011

My apologies. I wasn't being sarcastic, merely assuming there was an elementary education term with which I was unfamiliar; it wouldn't be the first time.

To be honest, I would concentrate less on statistics and more on results. I would make mention of those results in my cover letter, where a sentence or two could help explain my part in reviving struggling program. (And hope that you have letters of recommendation that would back up those claims.)

If you do want the statistis: you went from one class to 9 classes-- that's a growth rate of 800%.

10. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Sep 29, 2011

800% sounds too big. Just not realistic.

What if I concentrate on the per year growth.

Lets say the first year I went from 1 to 2 classes. Second year 2 to 4 classes, third year 4 to 6, and then 6 to 9 classes in the fourth year.

From this, how would I calculate the growth rate? Or the average growth rate per year?