How to keep my student desks in place

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mdee, Jul 25, 2008.

1. mdee

mdee Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Does any one have ideas on how to keep my students' desks in place each day? I usually spend several minutes straightening the desks each morning, and this is after I have asked the students to straighten the desks before they leave for the day. I have tried putting masking tape under the legs on the carpeting, however, I had a very hard time removing the tape from the carpeting afterwards. I like to change the desk arrangement at least once a month and rarely do I put the desks in rows. Any ideas? I would appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks! :help:

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

I wish I knew the answer to this also... It seems to be a never ending job everyday.

4. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

The only thing that's worked somewhat for me is for some reason groups stay put more than rows. The other idea is tape on floor except your custodians might not like that idea.

5. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2008

I use masking tape for painting walls as it does not stick as tightly.
    How about assigning a student the job of straighting desks?

6. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

Take clear packing tape and wrap it around legs of desks next to/across from (whatever your arrangement) each other. That helps tremendously!!!!

I have done the tape on the floor too, but it starts to peel, look messy, and the kids play with it.

7. MissR

MissR Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

I use painter's tape too or the colorful electrical tape works also. We aren't allowed to use masking tape (makes custodians mad!). I put one strip at the front of a group of desks and teach the kids whose desks touch the tape how to line it up with the tape, then teach the other kids how to line their desks up with the others.

8. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

i use permanent marker on the floor. i draw two semi-circles around the legs that are closest to them and i have them put their desks in those before they leave. the permanent maker rubs off after a few weeks. it was wonderful last year!

the custodians didn't say anything either. they scrape the old wax off each year and rewax, so what does it hurt?

i also like the taping of the desks together though...might consider that.

LC

9. AggieTchr2006

AggieTchr2006 Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Get some bungee cords and wrap them around where the legs all meet. This works wonderfully and then you're not scraping tape off at the end of the year.

10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 25, 2008

Zip ties work better than tape to wrap around the legs to keep desks in groups and they don't leave a sticky residue. I also think a student job of striaghtening the desks might help.

11. mdee

mdee Rookie

Jul 25, 2008

Thank you so much for the great ideas! I think I will try zip ties or bungee cords around the legs of the desks. Tape on the floor has been too much of a problem.

12. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 25, 2008

Similar to zip ties, I've seen velcro zip ties. They're marketed for holding bunches of electrical cords together. I wonder if this could work?? It might be expensive, though.

13. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

Bungee cords at Dollar Tree! And then tell us if you find some other cool teacher stuff there!!!

14. lcluigs03

lcluigs03 Cohort

Jul 25, 2008

our dollar tree store sells zip ties in different colors. you get like 100 for $1

LC

15. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Jul 25, 2008

My friend uses chalk to draw circles around the desk legs on the floor. It wipes off after a week or so though.

16. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

I've done the tape thing before - taping the legs together. Works pretty good, too.

17. Grace

Grace Companion

Jul 25, 2008

I do the bungee cords as well. It's so great! You can take them off when you want to rearrange the desks into groups or whatever, and then put them back on later.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2008

You know, if you can use cable ties I bet you could use a produce bag from the grocery store, especially the kind that come on the long thin roll instead of the flat roll: twist it tight and use it to tie a nice square knot around the legs.

19. gab

gab Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

Velcro...the pokey side. I buy the sew-on version. I toss the fluffy strip as I can't think of a use for it and cut the pokey strip into squares. I arrange desks the way I want them to be and then lift each top/front corner and place a velcro square under it and really apply pressure to them. Students can then be responsible for reorganizing their desks back to their spots.

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 25, 2008

I just added bungee cords to my shopping list for tomorrow! I hate going around constantly pushing desks back into rows. And I don't always use groups.

By the way, I tell my kids that I rearrange seating once a month at the beginning of the month. They look forward to it and stop bugging me about who they're sitting beside since they know they only have to "endure" for a few weeks.

21. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 26, 2008

All of my students desks are zip tied together. I move four of them at one time when I have to put them back into place and that takes no time at all!

22. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 26, 2008

I used colored tape from the PE teacher last year. It worked OK, but there was the residue. I LOVE the tape and zip tie idea! I have 27 different classes each week and that would keep the chairs in place! :2up:

23. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

I do the permanent marker thing too...that way the kids can straighten and I can save my back!

24. mdee

mdee Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

Are you putting the permanent marker on the carpet? Or do you have tiled floors? I have carpet.

25. mdee

mdee Rookie

Jul 26, 2008

This sounds like a really great idea! Do you put the pokey side down into the carpet? That's how I'm picturing it. and the desk leg stays on the flat side of the velcro?
    Let me know,
    Thank you!

26. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

We have very OLD tiled floors. I just put one little black dot where the first leg of their desk goes. I makes it really easy to get the room in order after students work in groups.

27. sherri0318

sherri0318 Rookie

Jul 27, 2008

OMG!!! THAT'S an AWESOME IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

28. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 27, 2008

See I tend to move kids around a lot, and also desk arrangements, so I don't know if the zip ties and packing tape would work. Bungee cords sound like a good idea but I could just see them being dangerous!

I wonder how the velcro idea works...

29. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Jul 27, 2008

I think I am going to try the student who is more anal than me to be responsible for the desks. I had a student two years ago who was very, very orderly, and she loved arranging the desks at the end of each day. She was AWESOME! I think I will try that this coming school year, but I recalled that I liked straightening their desks b/c it let me see their desks, and basically be in their world.

30. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

I just bought zip ties, 100 for around $2 in the discount bins at Walgreens. I figure I can make a production of cutting them at the end of the month...sort of a I'm setting you free type of moment.

I change desk mates at the beginning of each month.

31. Sheree

Sheree Companion

Jul 28, 2008

I love the zip ties and bungee cords idea! Quick question for those who have use them. Do you put place them high on the legs of the desk or low or both? If I were to put my desk in groups of 4, have many ties or cords would I use? Thanks so much!

32. AggieTchr2006

AggieTchr2006 Rookie

Jul 28, 2008

I usually put my desks in groups of 4 and just wrap one bungee cord around the legs where they all meet in the middle. It works really well, and they are really easy to take off if you need to move kids around.

I have never had a problem with them being dangerous, but I never point out to the kids that they are down there. It was about Christmas time when one finally spotted them, and once I explained why they were there, we had no problems. I let my kids work on the floor, but not under their desks, so there was no opportunity to play with them.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 28, 2008

Not sure I'd recommend sticky packing tape, since it might mar the finish... but some hardware stores sell a kind of self-stick tape that shippers use: it amounts to Saran wrap on a tape roll and is used for bundling things together, with multiple layers. I'd guess a strip could be reused through a school year without entirely giving up the ghost.

34. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 29, 2008

Thanks for the permanent marker idea...I am going to go with that instead of the tape I was planning on using. Last year my desks moved more than the ocean. ;0)

35. Grace

Grace Companion

Jul 29, 2008

For those who want to go with zip ties, they had a package of 100 neon colored ties at the Dollar Tree for a dollar (duh!)

36. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

Class Job: Desks
    Last year, one student had the distinct privilege of reminding others to straighten and/or clean their desks. I would do sporadic checks and dismiss straight groups first. I have groups of four students and when they were first put into groups, I explained how each desk group should look and what they were lined up with in the classroom. It seemed to work.

37. JenL

JenL Comrade

Jul 29, 2008

i have the class job of desks even in first grade and it seems to work....
    if they aren't exactly were i want them to be before dismissal i will move one child's desk and ask the others to line up to it. i have five pods so i only have to move five desks...pretty quick and easy.

38. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Sep 17, 2008

oh my god I wish I knew the answer to this question... I have zip ties... so I might give tht a whirl. I was thinking of going to home depot to check out some rubber things to see if there is something I can put on the legs to create more friction. But I imagine they will simply fall off.

Maybe they ahve some kind of rubber cup/foot .. like you see on the bottom of crutches... that would prevent sliding.