How to keep it positive

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by HorseLover, Sep 27, 2013.

1. HorseLover

HorseLover Comrade

Sep 27, 2013

What are some ways you've found helpful in keeping things positive (in your mind) when dealing with "tough to get along with" kids? Ways to help you find the good things about them even when at first glance it's hard. I truly don't want to ever dislike any of my kiddos and I believe that showing love/care towards them is WAY more beneficial to them than them feeling like their teacher "doesn't like them" because they're "bad"

3. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 27, 2013

When I have a student that I am having difficulty liking or that I am upset at, what I do is get to school a bit early and spend 1 to 2 minutes sitting in their desk. I think what it must be like to be him or her and then I say a prayer for him or her. This has helped me to be more positive than anything else I ever tried.

4. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Sep 27, 2013

I teach ED, and it can be hard with some kiddos. :)

Try to find something small each day to like about the student. (He walked in line well. He was okay at lunch. She behaved in gym. She helped someone pick up their pencil.)

5. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Sep 27, 2013

Last year, the best thing I did was start doing lunch bunch. I really need to get it going this year. I would have 4 or so randomly selected students (I picked names out of a cup) stay in and eat lunch with me. It was a time when I could ask them questions about their lives and we could just chat without the pressure of needing to get work done and focus on our procedures and classroom behaviors. It really helped me feel more connected to students I had trouble connecting with previously. And as an added bonus, it helped the kids make new friends, since the groups were randomly selected. The kids LOVED it.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 28, 2013

I'm going to shamelessly steal this idea.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Sep 28, 2013

I try to remind myself that they are most likely a produce of their environment. Some kids just have to unlearn what their crazy "normal" is.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2013

:love: