how to keep it all organized!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by love2teach, Jun 10, 2009.

1. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2009

I am looking for a new way to keep all of my "evidence" and record keeping organized for next year.
    I have used file folders and index cards for each S in the past but it just does not work the way I would like it to!

I was thinking of binders but am not sure if that is going to get crazy too (think: 23 binders?! :eek:)

Thanks!

3. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 10, 2009

I use 1 binder with enough pocket dividers/folders for each kid. You can keep a list of phone numbers, etc. right there in the binder along with blank paper for jotting down documentation while you're on the phone.

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2009

I went to binders last summer. It didn't make any difference as far as organization goes. I still didn't file my papers after using them and I still have a huge bin to sort through. And the binders take up more space.

The only benefit was that I got rid of a lot of junk when I "re-organized" into binders.

Oh, and I got to make cute covers because I had bought view binders.

5. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2009

I did make two binders that I used a lot and managed to keep organized. One had test scores and DIBELS reports, bus numbers, telephone numbers, etc. I labeled it "Everything".

The other one is a team leader notebook that has everything in it that the team needs--a copy of all the previous year's test scores, team notes, computer program notes, etc.

6. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jun 10, 2009

I will let you know when I figure it out... I have no plan as of yet.

7. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 10, 2009

For discipline documentation, I have a discipline book where each student has a page every 6 weeks. The kids mark in what they did, what the consquence was, they sign, and I sign.

As far as everything else, I have one HUGE binder divided so each student gets a section and that's where I put all documentation from parents, copies of discipline sheets, test scores, etc.

8. Petite_Teacher

Petite_Teacher Companion

Jun 11, 2009

Have you thought about having one binder and color coordinating with each student having a different color? What about using the tabs with the different colors? You can attach them to specific sections.

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 11, 2009

I started using 1 binder. I made a special place to store the binder so I always knew where to grab.

I have 6 sections of classes, 10-25 students in each section.

I created a spreadsheet for each section with student names alphabetized.

I left the column names of the spreadsheet blank. I could then name the columns as necessary (book #, permission slip, etc).

I also created a section in the binder for passwords (we are 1:1, so students have a LOT of passwords).

Another section was attendance (actually, this was at the front of the binder). Our attendance is reported online, but I'm not always at my laptop at the beginning of class.

I don't have "real" discipline issues (whew) but I did keep a large envelope (hole punched) in the back of the binder that had discipline forms, SIT forms, etc. Completed forms are kept in a file cabinet under lock.

10. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 11, 2009

I did this too - I have a binder that can hold all my students info and it is in 1 place so I can keep up with it.

11. JennM

JennM Rookie

Jun 11, 2009

Best idea is to try a couple of different things and see how they work. I used folders last year and ended up carrying way too much paper around with me, sometimes when I didn't even need it! This year, I bought a file cabinet on wheels, so I can file everything away and wheel it around when necessary. We'll see how that one works...

12. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jun 11, 2009

I have a binder with a few copies of every form I could possibly need, things I need to copy, etc that I take with me any time I leave my classroom during my planning block. That way if I get stopped by a counselor to talk about a student or call a parent or a random parent shows up and wants a conference, a have the forms there with me to document every conversation. Then when I get back to my room, each student has their own file where I keep this info. That way when a parent comes up and says 'I've called and called and Mrs. B never calls me back", like happened this year, I can quickly pull that child's file and say 'nope, not quite'