How to keep desks from migrating?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by MissEducation, Sep 14, 2009.

1. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Sep 14, 2009

This sounds like a silly problem but it's driving me nuts. I have traditional desks with the desk part attached to the chair. I have a slick, linoleum floor. I have the desks arranged in traditional rows and there is enough room, but barely. If a row is out of place at all the kids are cramped and this leads to more talking, arguments, and bigger messes.

Every morning I come in and straighten all the desks and every day by about lunch time they have shifted over about 5 feet. Some rows are right next to each other, some are way too far apart...Sometimes I make the kids straighten them but I don't want to have to do this every class.

Suggestions? Am I just being too picky? I just feel like messy desks = less organized classes.

3. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Sep 14, 2009

I would train the kids to make sure their desks are in the right place when they leave at the end of class. I'd actually mark the front right corner of their desks.

4. Muttling

Muttling Devotee

Sep 14, 2009

I've used two methods and both work quite well.

When I'm in a horseshoe arrangement, I tape numbers to each desk and the same numbers to the floor. All the desks should be positioned over the corresponding numbers. In general, I have replace numbers every 9 weeks as they get worn off.

In a rows arrangement, I set up pathways for me to walk so I can get to all my students and mark those with blue vinyl tape. The chairs are to say out of my pathways and it works really well. Unfortunately, the tape gets scraped up pretty easily so you have to have old tennis balls on the feet of the chairs for it to work.

5. mathrulz

mathrulz Rookie

Sep 14, 2009

I agree with using tape to mark where you would like the desks to be. You wouldn't have to use a lot of tape, maybe just where you would like the front legs of the front desks of each row.

As far as the management of moving the desks, you could have that be the job of the last period to make sure the desks are lined up correctly before you let them go.

6. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 16, 2009

This happens to me everyday and I get so annoyed. In the morning the first row starts out in front of my desk and to the right of it. By the end of the day, the first row has passed my desk, moving that far up. We are not allowed to put tape on our floors so I don't know what to do

7. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Sep 16, 2009

I have used cable zip ties to tie the legs of the desk together. It worked like a charm. However, occasionally a tie would slide down to the floor, but overall, it was a pretty good solution.

8. SingBlueSilver

SingBlueSilver Companion

Sep 16, 2009

OMG this drives me nuts too! I love the zip tie idea, but I at times want to rearrange my desks to groups so it would be more of an inconvenience for me. I've also tried tape on the floors, but the kids rush in and out each period pretty much leaving the tape all scuffed and almost non-existent by the end of the week, not to mention our custodian sweeping and/or mopping...I guess there is no permanent solution, but I really do love that zip tie idea. I'll have to see if my custodian would oppose.

9. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 16, 2009

I would love to use tape but I have carpeting. Not sure about the zip ties as when I have ASB they need to move the desks.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 17, 2009

I have rubber "Floor Buddies" on my desks. They still move some, but not bad. I use paint or permanent marker to mark whene desks go. Kids line them up.

11. holliday

holliday Comrade

Sep 17, 2009

I have this same problem. I've got carpet, too, yarnwoman, so I've not found anything I could do to the floor that would help. Ties are tempting, though...

12. Miss Beazly

Miss Beazly Rookie

Sep 18, 2009

This problem irritates me as well. I put little strips pf velcro on the floor where each front leg should stay, and have each class make sure their desks are in position before they go. Saves me from rearranging the desks all day long.

13. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Sep 19, 2009

Haha, I have this same problem too with the desks. I've just taken the grin-and-bear-it approach and don't really mind shifting 20 desks at the end of the day.

14. Earth2me

Earth2me Rookie

Sep 23, 2009

I have carpet, too. I was just thinking...would painters tape work?

15. mathrulz

mathrulz Rookie

Sep 26, 2009

There is a teacher at my school who placed a row of tape as long as the row of desks was and it was fine. I have used tape (both masking and painter's) to mark spots in my room and both have stayed for a long time - all year at least. I got in trouble though by the custodians because both tapes left marks on the carpet. With a good cleaning is was gone. We have that high traffic short berber-like carpet. If you had a high pile, it probably wouldn't stick.

16. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

Maybe if you can't put anything on the floors, have markers the students can eyeball on the walls. You could either put up something like painter's tape that doesn't damage the walls (don't know if it does, just an example) or use "landmarks" like row 1 lines up with the left side of poster A, row 2 with the right side of poster B, etc. Then have it marked off across, too - line 1 is two squares in front of the edge of my desk, line 2 is two squares behind the back of line 1 or is even with the start of the bookcase, etc. Tell the kids to line up their desks when they come in. While it's not as nice and accurate as marking the floor, at least you'll have some semblance of maintaining your seating plan.