How to isolate trouble makers

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by AbbyR, Jul 12, 2008.

1. AbbyR

AbbyR Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

I had a rough class last year, with two particularly disruptive kids who would cause trouble no matter where I seated them in the room. A desk in the back of the room didn't work - others could still see them and they could see - and communicate - with the class. Sending them to another teacher for time out is not an option, and I really prefer to handle my discipline myself rather than involve a fairly ineffective administration.

What I would like to do this year, if I can figure out a way, is create a spot in the room where I could truly isolate a kid, but still see him or her. I'm thinking a curtain of some sort (how?), or screen. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? What did you use and how was it set up? Did it work?

When I was a kid, the nuns would put us in the coat closet, but in the absence of coat closets ;) and because I want to keep the child in the room, that's not an option in this day and age.

Suggestions?

3. Teach2reach

Teach2reach Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

Well, this may not be your definition of isolation. I'll give it a try anyway...

This past year I too have dealt with 2 very disruptive and immature kids. What I have found works the least is sending them to the back of the room facing the wall. This only made matters worse for me. The trouble maker would then turn around & bother the kids sitting in the back of the room. This was difficult for me because I was up in the in the front of the room.

What I find is most effective for the trouble makers behaviors is isolating them towards you. Put them as close to you as possible. When they began to act up I would just say "Sam up here." If he did not come I used the broken record technique. Sam hated being in the front right by me. It worked well, if Sam began to be disruptive I would simply look at him and he would stop. He felt embarrassed, that is the truth. I was only doing this so he could focus and his peers would too.

It does depend on the child's personality...let's hear what others have to say...

4. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Jul 12, 2008

I come from a school with discipline issues. My administration is horrible at dealing with discipline in the lower grade levels. I've actually sent a student to the office for punching another student and 30 minutes later, she was back in the classroom with a bag of popcorn that admin had given her.

When I was in kindergarten, I had a quiet office, in one of the corners of my room. I put manilla folders around the top to enclose it like a cubicle and the desk was facing the wall. I also blocked off the student being able to see the other students by putting a pocket chart on the side. This way, I could see him, if I stood in the back of the room, but the other students couldn't give him the attention he wanted, because the pocket chart was in the way. After warning about misbehavior, I would send them to the quiet office to work, until they were ready to join us.

In second grade, I had kinda had the same system. I didn't call it the quiet office, though. They had to sit in the back of the room and were blocked off by a pocket chart and book case. This way, I could still see what they were doing, but he/she couldn't see the other kids.

I have to be able to see the student in time out. I learned this after one occasion when one of the kids in time out got bored and began writing on the wall.

I've generally taught my kids early on, "we do not pay attention to bad behavior". So even when I would forget to position the pocket charts, they were pretty good at ignoring the behavior. Whenever I have to deal with a child who is upset at me for getting mad at them, I will let them have a little time to "get over it" and then sit down and talk to them. I have to repeat to them that if they want my attention, then I will give it to them when I see good choices not bad choices being made.

With students that have a really hard time of staying on task and doing their work, I've had to do an incentive type chart with them. This usually works if you're consistent.

I, like you, don't like sending my students to other teachers, even though I am constantly getting kids from them for time out. I do carry my cell phone with me, because there have been times when, just a little chat with mom/dad will do the trick...but this I only resort to when I'm ready to send them to the office, but want to give them another chance to straighten up.