How to Incorporate SRA Reading Labs

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Jack and Annie, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jun 17, 2011

I have a set of SRA Reading Labs. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate them in my classroom. I am not using the basal this year. I plan on teaching a mini-lesson on a skill or strategy, allow students to reading silently and take Reading Counts quizzes while I hold conferences, and then have time for workstations while I meet with small groups. These labs are so beneficial and I want to use them regularly. If you use these labs, how do you use them?:confused:

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 17, 2011

I have used them as part of my morning work assignments. The students have to complete one per day and make corrections if they don't pass.

4. wendy 31

wendy 31 Rookie

Jun 20, 2011

You could have students partner read then use a summarizing or retell strategy. The first partner could be a partner of their choice and the second partner is your choice. That way the story is read at least twice. They could be responsible to do one or more tasks with the vocabulary from the story.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 20, 2011

Could the SRA lab be one of the workstations each day?

6. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 20, 2011

I use SRA as a workstation. Depending on other must-dos, I assign either one or two per week. I had to take the answer cards away from the box, though. Students now have to show me their finished page before I will give them access to the answers.

7. GAteacher

GAteacher Rookie

Jun 25, 2011

I use SRA as a workstation too. They have two in their folder and turn their folder back into me. Then, I check them.

8. Jack and Annie

Jack and Annie Rookie

Jun 26, 2011

Thanks! I think I will use them as a workstation and maybe part of their moring work on Friday. I like the idea about having them put them in a folder and turn them in to be checked.

Here are a "few" questions....
    Do any of you let the students check their own?
    Do they have to have all of the answers correct to go to another booklet?
    Do you make them correct their mistakes?
    Do they have to do all the booklets of one color before going on to the next?

Thanks for your help!

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 26, 2011

Do any of you let the students check their own?
    **Many times I have students switch papers and check each others. I teach them how to do this though, make the answer as incorrect (not the right answer)

Do they have to have all of the answers correct to go to another booklet?
    **I never shoot for 100%, but I do want to see mastery. Often times this is at least 80% of the answers correct. If they don't get at least this, then I reteach the concept to them and find an additional assignment.

Do you make them correct their mistakes?
    **When I have students check each others, yes I do make them correct their mistakes. I also make them write me a sentence as to why they think this is a better answer.

Do they have to do all the booklets of one color before going on to the next?
    **Usually I do, but this is individualized so some students might show mastery and really need a different concept.

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 26, 2011

My students grade their own all the time. If I notice as I'm grading that a student who probably shouldn't be is acing every story, I recheck his work. It doesn't happen often, and they know I'm watching, so I don't worry too much.

I don't need for them to get 100% to move on. They graph their answers and all I'm looking for is progress.

They have to do all the booklets of one color unless I really see mastery as I'm checking.