How to help a struggling reader....

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TennisPlayer, Sep 9, 2008.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 9, 2008

What are some ways I can help my 3rd grade students become better readers? Someone is reading at a 1st grade level. I am trying to prevent a parent possibly blaming me personally for her reading abilities since I am a new teacher. I know practicing reading makes you a better reader but what else?

3. Touchthefuture

Touchthefuture Comrade

Sep 9, 2008

Have you pinpointed what area they are struggling in like phonemic awareness, comprehension, fluency, phonics or vocabulary? Once you get this answered then you can start to give some intensive instruction in that area. If I have someone struggling with blending/segmenting, I give them words to work on with that. I show them how to do it and then they practice. If it is decoding words, there is sight word practice, getting them familiar with the common phonemes/ letter-sound relationship, etc. I could go on and on as reading is very comprehensive. Let me know what area you think they may need and I may be able to direct you better.

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 9, 2008

You say someone is reading at a first grade level. How specifically was this determined? Using STARS? DRA? Other system? If a child scores on a first grade level in STARS, the problem is often lack of vocabulary or comprehension. If they score low on the DRA, it is generally their ability to retell.

I think we need more information, like in what areas is the child low.

5. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 9, 2008

I gave her the DRA today but her wpm and accuracy fell in the shaded section where it says to retest at a lower level so we never got to the comprehension part.

Does anyone know if the DRA is supposed to skip "numbers" ? This is my first time using DRA and I couldn't find someone to answer my question today! One of the levels said 28, then 24 would be the next lower one. Others jumped around too so I don't know if that is normal or if materials are missing!!!!

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Sep 10, 2008

Yes, they do skip levels.

7. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Sep 10, 2008

Well first of all, you cant let a parent blame you. Struggling readers do not only need help at school but also at home. When/if you meet with the parent, offer some solutions to that parent that they can work on with their child at home. Parental help/support can be big issues when it comes to children struggling with reading.