How to hang pocket charts

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by AZKinderTchr, Jul 3, 2006.

1. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 3, 2006

I admit it, I am a pocket chart addict. My math word wall is in one, an interactive one in the reading center, another one for teaching....I use them everywhere. I HATE the rolling stands, they take up valuable space. In my past classroom, every wall was like a bulletin board so I staped them right to the wall. My new school seems like mostly cinder block. Anyone have ideas for hanging pocket charts? I am afraid I'm going to have to quit my addiction :(

3. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2006

What about using clothespins on a clotheline... they will probably be too heavy.

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jul 3, 2006

You could hot glue coat hooks to the wall and hang them from there.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2006

I use the Command hooks. They are very strong, remove easily and don't damage the paint.

6. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 3, 2006

I know that you said you're opposed to racks, but this year I bought a rolling wardrobe rack. I hooked two pocket charts to it...one on each side. I can roll it around, move it out of the way, and I can even push it down to half the size and tuck it away in a corner. I LOVE it. Before I didn't really like having the chart racks either, but this has beomce much easier for me.

7. srh

srh Devotee

Jul 3, 2006

Andrea--that's what I did. Lowe's, $20. Lightweight and easy to deal with!

8. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 4, 2006

I have suction cup hooks for my pocket charts that I put on the white board. They also make magnetic hooks that you can use.
    I also have a rack like AndreaL has. It's okay, but sometimes when you walk by it may follow you (as in your foot swipes it).
    I am purchasing 2 different types of hooks for next year. I'll post links to them in a little while.
    One is hooks for your marker tray. These are perfect for shorter pocket charts.
    The other are adjustable door hooks. I'm putting mine on a door that will not be used by the students, so I can maximize my space.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 4, 2006

I have cinder walls and I just hot glued the suckers right to the wall! They stayed up even though one pocket chart was part of a center and the kids used it daily.

11. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 4, 2006

I have heard a lot about hot glue. I have never used it in the classroom. If I have to take it down, how do you remove it?

12. cmorris

cmorris Comrade

Jul 4, 2006

I've always removed hot glue just by pulling it off. I've never had a problem and, so far, it hasn't pulled off any paint from the walls.

13. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 4, 2006

I too have never had a problem with hot glue. Usually if you use it with laminated posters it will come right off. If it's plain paper then you might have to peel it off. I would test it in an obscure corner before using it on everything. Wait a few days and pull it off to see the effects it has on your wall.

14. Loves2TeachinSC

Loves2TeachinSC Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

for the hot glue that you cant peel with your fingers, use a paint scraper. thats what the custodians used at our school...

15. iteachk-1

iteachk-1 Rookie

Jul 5, 2006

You can also use the stapler remover tool. I use the kind that slides under staples or tacks on a bulleting board. Our teachers' union gave them out several years ago. It works great and is always handy in my pencil cup.
    I hot glued my workstation pocket chart right to the wall. It stayed up all year. Another way to get the glue off is to ask the students to help. They love a challenge like that! :D When I took some laminated posters down, the glue was picked off in a flash!!

16. AZKinderTchr

AZKinderTchr Comrade

Jul 6, 2006

Wow, I might be trying the hotglue this year! Thanks for the ideas.

17. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Jul 6, 2006

Have you seen the kind that are overalls that latch over the file cabinets? They have some in the Really Good Stuff catalogue. I would post the link, but it won't let me because it says I haven't been a member long enough. But if you go to their website and just type in pocket charts, it will be the 3rd thing down. I think I'm going to try and fashion some of my own instead of paying $34.95.

18. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Jul 6, 2006

I wouldnt use hot glue on a drywall type wall though

19. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 6, 2006

20. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 6, 2006

Use the high temp glue if you want it to stay up all year. I put up some lightweight posters with the low temp glue and after a cold front came in, all the low temp posters fell off overnight.