How to Handle This...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Soccer Dad, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Dec 7, 2010

I'm so sorry that you're dealing with this.

I'm a first year teacher, but already I have realized how incredibly fortunate I am to have an administration that does stand behind their teachers.

I'm also an Iraq war veteran's wife, who was applauded on the day she was hired... for my husband's service to our country.

I think you did everything right, and am disgusted that your administrators bowed down to a parent who was so obviously in the wrong. Thank you for trying to do your best to show *respect* for our troops, and for trying to teach your students to do the same.

2. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Dec 7, 2010

Oh gosh. I am just reading this thread but I am appalled at what I am reading. I hope everything turns out right for you. You definitely deserve it!

3. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 7, 2010

This is another case of the minority thinking that they control everyone else. It would be a cold day in &*(& just like Dallas Teacher said before I'd apologize.

Shame on her and shame, shame on your principal.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 7, 2010

I'm just clinging to the wonderful fact that your principal backed you appropriately. The rest of it was handled poorly (by the school, not by you), but you have an administrator you can trust.

5. hatima

hatima Devotee

Dec 8, 2010

Thank you for having you class write letters to the soldiers. I wrote a letter to soldiers in the Persian Gulf War, and am still so proud of doing that.

I say you shouldn't have to apologize, you were not pushing a political agenda. By not mailing the letters you are "pushing" that parent's political agenda.

I saw something amazing yesterday. I was at a military base's gas station. When the trumpets sounded the soldiers, in uniform and out of uniform, all marched in place and stood at attention. They faced one of the directions the trumpets were coming from. They saluted when the National Anthem started. It was beautiful and amazing to see such respect and honor. Everyone stopped.

Thank you for showing such kindness and care for our soldiers. Thank you for asking your students to show human compassion to the soldiers. That is something that parent needs to learn.

6. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 9, 2010

The resolution: the letters were mailed, but I had to explain myself for mailing them through the post office directly and not thru the school's mail. As for the student's mother, she's still upset and looking to switch her child from my class. The shame of this is that I'm the only honors global history teacher so he'll have to drop to Regents. Apparently, someone's misguided views comes before the education of her child. How unfortunate.

As for my AP, we're on bad, bad terms.

As for me, I have a headache and a further negative outlook on people and their stupidity.

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Dec 9, 2010

ditto!!!!

8. gigi

gigi Groupie

Dec 9, 2010

Soccer Dad I am so sorry this has happened to you, and even sorrier that your AP is giving you such a difficult time. I am sorry for that student, and sorry for the ignorance of his mother. It really makes my heart heavy that your wonderful intentions turned into something like this.

9. Securis

Securis Cohort

Dec 9, 2010

If you've done all that's right, then discard the rest to the proving fire and look at what you've accomplished. You did something wonderful, stood your ground, won the battle with some scrapes, and here you are ready to take on another mountain. Be proud of your experience.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2010

11. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Dec 10, 2010

...and put it on my favorite links on my class website. Hmmm that'll have to wait till next year. :)

12. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 10, 2010

Could you send a note home to the parents whose children wrote letters and have them check "Yes, please send my child's letter" or "No, do not send my child's letter"? I bet all 130 of them would check "yes." That way the parents are being notified, and they have the option of having their child participate.

Some people...

13. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Dec 10, 2010

I just read that you sent them-good for you!

I hope things get better with your AP. :/

14. hatima

hatima Devotee

Dec 16, 2010

Soccer Dad, thank you for mailing those letters.

I remember during the Persian Gulf War my mom sat my sister and I down, we each wrote a letter to a soldier. It was something I was so proud to do. I remember listening to reports on the radio, I don't remember any of the reports, but I do remember listening to them.

15. Blurazzberi

Blurazzberi Rookie

Dec 16, 2010

Wow..that's shocking. :eek:hmy: Sorry you have to go through this whole ordeal. I wonder if she has ever considered that you can support the troops without supporting the politicians that control them.

16. NavyChief

NavyChief New Member

Jul 12, 2011

SoccerDad,

As a Navy Chief Petty Officer currently deployed to Afghanistan, and with multiple shipboard and ground deployments in my 18+ years, I say BRAVO! I can't express how we, and especially my young troops without families back home, appreciate the cards and letters from home. Politics have no place in this.

I retire in 18 months and I am hoping to become a high school teacher myself. I am constantly shrugging off the comments I hear about the "liberal" education system because kids aren't political, their parents are. I don't plan to have parents in my classroom, so...

17. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 12, 2011

I was wondering how this got brought up again. Then I read your post, Navychief, and I thought "what a perfect answer". It's a good reminder to add it to my things I want to do this year.

Uh, good luck with the "no parents" rule. I try to keep them out too, but sometimes they invite themselves to the party. Now, watch the flames fly on that statement.

18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 12, 2011

Thank you for your service.

19. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2011

My school sent Christmas cards to a unit in Afghanistan.
    When some of those deployed soldiers returned home they came to our school and presented us with a flag flown there on Memorial Day along with a very inspirational letter from their CO. During the ceremony at school the hard core principal was even crying during the event.