How to handle supplies

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by Mrs. Long, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Mrs. Long

Mrs. Long New Member

Aug 7, 2007

How do you all handle 5th grade supplies for the students? These are the supplies I have as extras- especially pencils, scissors, etc. Any ideas? This portion of my classroom set up seems to be eluding me!

Thanks!
    Kristin

3. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 7, 2007

I do community supplies. Last year it started with "He has a Spider-Man pencil!" or whatever it was, and then it just got worse. So this year EVERYTHING is community centered. I 'tested' it late last year and it worked great since the kids can then move around to other tables as needed.

4. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

I'm still struggling with this. My team is switching to departmentalized scheduling this year, so the students will be carrying basic supplies with them ina pencil bag(pencils, pens, crayons, highlighters and scissors). I work in a very low income school so I buy a lot of extras so that all students have what they need by the first week of school. All of the extras that I have I kept baskets in a cubby, which worked ok, but got to be a bit messy. This year I am trying to keep things more organized as I will have 60 kids coming in and out of my room each day. So far all I know is that I will be having a Take/leave pencil bin for extra pencils. I'll be watching this thread closely.

5. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

I don't understand why so many 5th grade teams are switching to departmentalized. It was brought up last year at my school and we all said NO! If we had wanted to specialize and switch kids we'd have gone into middle school! Sorry, just ranting....

6. heymrsp

heymrsp Rookie

Aug 8, 2007

We didnt really have a choice - our fourth grade team decided that they wanted to try it last year, and because they had such success and parents loved it, were actually involved, the kids did well, we are now expected to do it. We are going to try it this year, but if it doesn't work for us, we will switch back next year. However, what gets me is that our administrator(whom I love dearly) suggested to the third grade team that they do it as well! Oy! They didn't go for that idea - and I don't think its a good idea either. We will give it a try....change is good, right?:)

7. kburen

kburen Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

In the past my kids have always kept their things themselves at their desks and I keep extra crayons, colored pencils, markers, scissors and glue in the back of the room. I think this year I'm going to do like some of my team members do. Each child will get a bag or box at the begining of the year to keep their crayons, colored pencils, glue and scissors in and store them somewhere in the room. A helper can pass them out as they are needed, but otherwise they don't stay at their desks. I've had a lot of trouble with them playing with them, coloring, and other things at times when they should be listening.

8. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Aug 8, 2007

We start departmentalizing in 3rd grade....basically because of the state testing requirements..I don't think there is any way I could effectively teach Reading, Math and Science so that the kids could pass the state tests. Sorry....not trying to hijack thread!

As far as supplies, I think I am going to have the kids keep their basic supplies with them (pencils,pens, scissors) and have them keep their crayons, markers, colored pencils, and glue in a gallon baggie in their homeroom and they can get their baggie when they need these supplies. I will also have supplies (crayons, glue, pencils, pens) set up in my room as part of my writing supplies.

9. dumbdiety

dumbdiety Comrade

Aug 8, 2007

See, I could teach everything just fine (all but one of my students made gains on the state tests). To each his/her own I guess...
    Anyway, I would *love* to have the students keep their own supplies. But the principal that opened the school thought it would be a GREAT IDEA to order tables for groups instead of individual desks that you can group together....

10. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 8, 2007

How about pencil boxes to store the stuff? They can keep them at their desks.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2007

That's what I plan to do too. I bought the 1 penny pencil boxes from Staples. I think if it becomes a problem with them keeping their things at their desk, then I'll keep them in a shelf until they are needed.

12. osutx

osutx Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

I have them keep all of their supplies. That way I don't have to monitor who uses what. I take up three of the four notebook paper, but that is it. I have community paper at the back of the room. Everyone uses the same kind of paper, so that is no problem. Plus there is always paper for everyone. It keeps them from wasting it. If we find pencils on the floor I have a pencil jar by my sharpener. I just feel like making them more responsible, since they are going to Middle School the next year.

13. blossy

blossy Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

I have had the same problem--kids playing in their desks with their materials. I will be adopting this idea of them putting their stuff in boxes, and handing them out when needed.

14. LeslieC

LeslieC Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I let them have a few of their basics..3 pencils, one red pen/pencil, crayons, etc. with them in their desk. Extras I keep in gallon sized plastic bags w/their names on it and I keep them in a locked cabinet. If they need extras they come to me at the beginning of class.
    I used to have a community supply bucket of extra pencils and such, but I had a thief in the class and he and a few friends stole all of the pencils (about 30...had witnesses and the evidence in their desk) and quickly quit that practice.
    I do start the year off with 1 set of supplies for each group in a small bucket in the center of 4 grouped desks. As the year goes on, they often put their own supplies in there to share with their group. This has worked well so far with my students.