How to go from teaching secondary to elementary?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by gottaq, Sep 18, 2015.

1. gottaq

gottaq Rookie

Sep 18, 2015

If I get certified to teach a middle school subject, what would the process be for also getting certified to teach elementary? Is it as easy as passing the elementary praxis? Or would I need to have the background of elementary education before I can be certified in that? I know it differs by state.. but any general ideas?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2015

It depends on your state. In some states it is as easy as passing the Praxis. In other states you have to redo student teaching at the elementary level. Your state DoE website ought to provide the information you're looking for.

4. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Oct 6, 2015

Which state are you in, we could give you more specifics?

5. i.heart.trees

i.heart.trees Rookie

Oct 21, 2015

I got my cert in secondary English and decided I wanted to be teaching elementary after a year of subbing at both levels. I am taking cross endorsement courses. I went to the state department of education's website, went to a section that says approved course list (in the certification section), and found out which courses would apply for my cross endorsement. But that's for CT, it could be different elsewhere.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Oct 31, 2015

I am certified in California. I started with a secondary certification and it took just a couple extra classes to add on my multiple-subject credential. As has been stated already, check with your state because requirements will vary.