How to go from chaos to order

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by annetxa, Aug 27, 2010.

1. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Aug 27, 2010

I was wondering...I have morning drop off where it is 'free choice' and then everyone goes into their room for circle time and then their learning centers. The problem is that my three year old room is the morning free choice room and I am unsure how to 'organize' this. Any ideas? I want to start off on the right foot come Monday morning....

3. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2010

At my center they have the kids pick up toys and then bring all the kids to the rug for a circle time right before the other teachers pick them up. They sing some songs and do simple things until the teachers get organized. Some other schools have them outside and then line up at a certain time.

4. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Aug 28, 2010

I have them pick up their toys and then meet at the carpet for group time just like scmom. It might be a little hectic the first couple days. The three year olds need to adjust to the schedule. As long as you go over it with them, they will learn it.

5. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

In the morning there will be three teachers in the room and then it will be just me for both circle time and organized learning centers after free play.

What do you organize for learning centers after circle time? I just think it will be hard to tell them in the morning that they could play with anything in the room and now you can only play with centers A, B, and C, etc.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2010

You are right, it is difficult at first but they do learn. You have to introduce each activity and the procedures/rules/expectations. Start with really simple stuff so they can be successful.

I have one large table (or 2 smaller ones pushed together) and must admit I often find it easier to do 1 activity all together so I can control the mess/choices. I also had to learn this summer (much higher ratio than I am used to) not to do 3 activities at the same time which had a high potential for dumping/chaos because I can't be everywhere and didn't have help.

I have 3 tables near each other so I can set up 3 separate activities and sit at one table while keeping an eye on the others. I just make sure they are activities that aren't too frustrating or have potential for trouble or a million questions until they have done it and I trust them. For example, my co-teacher has had 3 incidents of hair cutting this week because she was doing something else. I don't give scissors to the 3s unless I am sitting at the table or able to pay close attention.

You may not want to start with centers or just do a couple plus free choice until everybody is used to it. Just remember it is going to take the kids time to get used to the rules and you time to see what works and what doesn't. Too much free time can lead to chaos if you aren't careful.

Don't get too frustrated - just learn from your mistakes. I don't mind mess but it drives my co-teacher insane and she spends more time cleaning/pickup up than teaching. You have to figure out what your comfort zone is.

Good luck.

7. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

In the morning while I am waiting for all of my students to arrive and for me to get situataed, I have the students sign in (take a sentance strip and dot out their name and lamintate it, then the student can practice with a dry erase marker) and after they finish that I have them get a book to look at. It has been really good because they dont make a mess and its very easy to transition them from a book to the circle rather than toys to the circle time. I also go to school a little bit earlier in the morning to make sure I have things set up so I dont find myself running around in the morning.