How to get teacher certificate?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by WayOfTeaching, Dec 26, 2007.

1. WayOfTeaching

WayOfTeaching Rookie

Dec 26, 2007

I'm a teacher assistant in a preschool. In the future I want to teach in elementary school.
    I have BS Degree in Education, but I don't have a teacher certificate.

Could anyone,please, tell me if you need to attend some courses in order to get a teacher certificate?..can you do it only online?
    ....how long does it take to get it?
    ....do you need it even if you are a teacher assistant in an elementary school?

Please share your experience about your teaching certificate.
    Thanks in advance!

3. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Dec 26, 2007

I think that if you have a degree in education, you probably won't need to take extra courses. You may just need to take your certification tests. Check the Texas State Board of Education Website to see the requirements: http://www.sbec.state.tx.us/SBECOnline/default.asp . Good luck!

4. positiveautism

positiveautism Comrade

Dec 26, 2007

Just saw your other question...to be a public school teacher's assistant, I think that you just need to have two years of college completed. Websites of the school districts should list their requirements for teacher's assistants.

5. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Dec 28, 2007

To get a teaching certificate in most states you have to student teach (along w/ the certification tests, of course). A lot of states offer programs to certify post bacc. people. My school also has a good post bacc. certification program.. Http://www.wgu.edu The classes are online but you have to student teach a bare minimum of 12 weeks (depends on your states requirements).

6. WayOfTeaching

WayOfTeaching Rookie

Jan 2, 2008

Thank you so much!

Thank you everybody for your reply. I really appreciate it and it's very helpful for me!

Thanks again!:thanks: