How to get started observing a classroom?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by StealYourCarbon, Jul 1, 2009.

1. StealYourCarbon

StealYourCarbon Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

I have wanted to become a teacher for a while now, but I did not major in education or anything of that nature during my undergraduate studies. Therefore I didn't have an opportunity to observe teachers in a classroom setting through my coursework (from a teacher's perspective).

I would like to teach high school science/chemistry. Now I would like to get a chance to observe a classroom setting but I do not know how to go about doing this. There are several local high schools near me and I was wondering if it is as simple as contacting/emailing the science teachers directly and asking them if I could spend a few hours a week just sitting quietly in their classroom or if it's a more extensive process than that. I mean, I'm sure there are background checks that need to be done and immunization documents I need to provide, but I just don't know who to contact first.

Any advice as to where to go from here would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 1, 2009

The schools I observed at did require me to be in and ACP program or some type of certification program. Then you just call the schools and they will set you up. My ACP program sent me a link for a classroom observation via the net, if I still have it, I'll PM it to you.

4. StealYourCarbon

StealYourCarbon Rookie

Jul 1, 2009

Many thanks tb71.

Unfortunately I am not enrolled in any certification program at this time. I'm actually about to begin my final year in undergrad. I am applying this fall for certification + masters program. Many of the schools I am applying to require documented observational hours in a classroom. (Which I have none of)

So I am hoping that in August, September, and October I can complete nearly 50+ hours of observation.

Who would I contact at the school to begin this? I know very very little about this process. :confused: Thanks.

5. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 1, 2009

Since you are still in college, I would contact the education department in your school to see if they can help you set up an observation.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2009

I agree with janney. Or you could also call the schools around you and explain why you want to observe.

7. kidsr#1

kidsr#1 Companion

Jul 1, 2009

Principal

I teach in a k-12 school and when a college student or someone else wants to come visit/observe, they speak with the principal first. If the principal is open to the idea, they will approach the teachers to see if anyone objects to having someone observe. I have hardly ever heard of anyone turning an observer down. :)

8. lovethatdog

lovethatdog New Member

Jul 1, 2009

I've completed two "internships" in elementary classrooms-- K and 5th. I'm education major so I am able to assist the teacher with mini-lessons, one-on-one help, projects, etc, but I've also done a fair bit of observation, as well. I simply emailed building principals in my town (well in advance!), and the interested ones got back to me and forwarded my email to their teachers. Within a week, I had tons of emails from teachers welcoming me into their classrooms. My advice-- put yourself out there, I think teachers will jump at the chance to have an extra set of hands in the classroom. Good luck!