How to get letters of Recommendations as a Sub?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by AllSmiles86, Dec 17, 2009.

1. AllSmiles86

AllSmiles86 New Member

Dec 17, 2009

I graduated from college in May 2009 and finally got a job as a Substitute in a large district.

I was told I'll start after Winter Break. My question is how do I get letters of recommendations as a Sub?

My letters of recommendations are from when I student taught...I think it'll be too old to use when I apply for Teacher jobs starting this spring/summer.

Do I introduce myself to the Principal/Assistant Principal and ask them to observe me teach?

I've already gone 7 months being unemployed, I really want to use subbing as a way to get my foot into the door and hopefully land a full-time job.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 18, 2009

Unless you sub LONG-TERM where someone has the chance to observe you for a good length of time (like at least a month or two), it would be hard for anyone to probably feel comfortable in knowing your work style/procedure as opposed to just subbing for a day here & there.

Maybe if you're a regular sub at a school or two here & there for several months, you can get a letter written for you by someone.

I know I certainly asked my cooperative teachers for letters as soon as I was done & they gladly did so.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 18, 2009

Your letters of rec. from ST are NOT too old to use when you apply for jobs for the fall :) They might not be dated recently, but they're the best insight anyone has into your teaching style. That's important to employers, even if they aren't from the last month ;)

5. Michael S.

Michael S. Companion

Dec 19, 2009

I have asked teachers that have observed me sub for their coworkers. However, that was because I have been subbing at the same school nearly every day for several months. I subbed for the same teacher every Wednesday (she is a special educator and had IEP meetings every Wednesday). I have developed a professional relationship with the administrative staff, students, and faculty.

6. oldstudent

oldstudent Comrade

Dec 20, 2009

Make sure to leave your access number so the teachers can request you.
    Once you have spent a couple days in the same classroom, simply ask the teacher for a short referral letter.
    They all say yes, although a few might "forget'.

You usually need three letters. Each is generally good for three years , so it is not too daunting of a chore.