How to get kid to be excited about music?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by serawyn, Dec 11, 2006.

1. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Dec 11, 2006

I have a child who loves classical music, but hates any "KID" music. Is there anything I can do to help him participate in music? I'm giving him an "N"- needs improvement in music right now and his mom is very concerned that this will affect him. I'm not sure how to help him participate or do hand motions to improve this grade. He just hates it whenever we sing, dance, or have anything with music.

I would appreciate any suggestion.

3. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2006

When I taught music, I included classical pieces and added movements to them. Off hand I can think of a few: Peer Gynt, Sorcerer's Apprentice etc. The kids liked to move to this music and it sounds like it would more up his alley. I would also explain to him though that since he is sooo good at music, he needs to be your helper etc.

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2006

Do some things with Peter and The Wolf! There are SO many fun activities you can do with this!

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2006

Another thought.......include scarves and rhythm sticks as they listen to classical pieces. They can interpret the music through movement that way.......there are lots of great ways to include classical music into your music program. I think it benefits all the children.

6. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Dec 11, 2006

I really like this suggestion! I will definitely try this.

7. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Dec 11, 2006

Hi trayums. Can you please give me a few titles of CDs that I can look into purchasing? I've never heard of these people before. :/ Thank you!

8. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 11, 2006

I never liked "kid" music, either. It was often so condescending and babyish. I used to look around the classroom in wonder, and think that maybe everybody was stupid in there including the teacher. . . .

But, have you tried "Heigh, Ho, Mozart?" It's Disney melodies as famous composers might have written them.

Much better than standing around chanting 'tooty ta.'

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 11, 2006

Come now!! Let's not call all teachers who boogy to tooty ta stupid. When we sing tooty ta, it's all for fun. It's when we let go of any dignity we have, and create fun silly memories. Now, I don't force kids to sing or dance if they don't feel like it. But, I remember when I was student teaching in kindergarten, and my master teacher did the tooty ta, I remember thinking, Oh...My... Goodness!! But, now I understand. Kids do like to get down and be silly. I actually do a combination of "stupid kid songs" and classical music. Classical music during workshop and then kid songs when we have time.

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Dec 11, 2006

hi again,
    Those are names of pieces. I would perhaps look into a children's classical cd. I know there are quite a few out there. There are some really great Baby Einstein CD's that have classic classical music that you could incorporate movement into. Also, while they aren't classical music, Greg and Steve have some GREAT songs that in my experience ALL kids adore. Might be worth it to try them as well.

11. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Dec 11, 2006

Tooty Ta can actually be a very good way to teach phonological awareness. You can "borrow" the first sound in someone's name, so that for example, Mark becomes "ark" while you sing the song. Then tell the kids you will use Mark's M-m-m sound and sing mooty ma. At the end of the song, give mark his m-m-m back. Be sure to use the open version, which has the music and the thumbs up part but leaves the other part with music only, so the kids don't get confused. Actually, I heard dr jean do this at an inservice- it is not my original idea. However, my preschoolers love to let me borrow the first sound in their name. However, I will not do that song anytime I have adult visitors in the class... I will only act that silly in front of the kids.

There actually are alot of good songs for preschoolers that are not dumb or stupid.

12. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Dec 11, 2006

I am with you Peachy. I don't think that kids should be forced to sing and dance if they don't want to. As adults, we are not forced to go to a dance club, or sing in a choir. Why should kids have to? I give this child alot of credit for liking classical music. He is showing that he appreciates music, not just all music. As a matter of fact, as his mother, I would applaud that he has distinguishing tastes. I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but I hate when teachers force kids to sing or dance. It actually could prove to be detrimental in their future. I better stop now, or you all might yell at me!

13. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Dec 11, 2006

I actually have all of the Greg and Steve cds and use those to teach the kids music. I use rhythm sticks and a lot of movements along with music. For example, I use animal actions and the kids get to pretend to be different animals. We also march around the alphabet to the songs. Most of my students love these types of music with the exception of this child. He hates these songs and would not move. If I play a song like "what are you wearing" where the children get to stand up if they are wearing a sweater, red shoes, hats, etc. he refuses to stand up. He covers his ears the entire time, looks around the room, and does not want to participate.

If I play classical music, he puts his head down and falls asleep. If we are singing the "happy birthday" song, he would not participate. I'm just not sure how to help him appreciate music because his appreciation is falling asleep. I can't give him an "outstanding" in music if he's not participating. But I want to help him learn the joy and rhythm that music can bring to him.

I think be it Greg and Steve, Raffi (which I also have), Mozart, etc. children can all learn something from appreciating music. I honestly don't see anything wrong with listening to what I consider "kid" music compared to classical music. Kids are kids and it's ok for them to listen to songs that they can appreciate as long as the songs do not have degrading lyrics. However, I also play classical music for children like Mozart, Chopin, and Beethoven throughout the day. I don't consider classical music to be "better". Kids can learn sounds, letters, sharing, and a lot just listening to what I consider "kid" music. Just my two cents.

14. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 11, 2006

I love a lot of children's music, actually. I just can't stand the condescending kind.

I never liked to dance around and point to my ears and nose, either. I kind of sympathize with this kid.

15. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Dec 12, 2006

Sometimes you need to figure out if the child really does not like to sing or dance, because he is inhibited, or does not like music, as opposed to a child who is not doing something because they are being defiant or pushing your buttons or something. Sometimes it can just be an "I don't want to and you can't make me" type of kid, which is really different than a child who is truly embarrassed, or whatever. And for me, "adequate" participation for an inhibited child might be to move a finger, or nod a head, or something that shows he is trying. I guess maybe we should say we are encouraging the children to try something, not "forcing" them to do it. Maybe they will actually like singing or movement activities, if they can get over the initial fear of looking foolish, or what ever it is that holds them back.

And when you think about it, don't we require children to do other things all day that they might not "like" to do.... like math, and listening to stories, and playing outside, and ... I could go on and on. Why can we require them to do math and handwriting, but not require them to try singing? It will not hurt any one to try, as long as you don't force them to say, sing a solo in front of the class, or something like that!

Again, I want to say, that I am not talking about really FORCING a child to get up and do something, but just encouraging them to try something new.

16. serawyn

serawyn Companion

Dec 12, 2006

Moonbeam, I completely agree with everything you say! I don't want to force this kid to sing or dance to anything he hates. That's why I've tried to bring in different things that I feel he might like, but then he falls asleep on me! I asked his mother why he likes classical music, and she told me it helps him sleep. I can't disagree with that and force him to move or dance, so I end up giving him a "needs improvement" in the category that says participates in music. He doesn't participate so I can't just give him a "trying". It's pretty cut and dry on the report card. I don't have a problem with him in the class if he doesn't participate. I want to help him learn to like different types of music and join with the group, but if he chooses not to, I can't force him.

I guess my original post was only meant to ask for suggestions on what I can do to help him appreciate music and at least show me some interest.

17. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Dec 13, 2006

I know what you mean, serawyn. I really like the kids to participate too. It is really hard to get some kids to try. And it is not just music. There are some kids who will not even try to paint; if given the choice they would never do it. And I think all kids should be able to try to paint, even if it is just slapping paint around for 2 seconds. And sometimes those kids who I require to try painting, end up liking to do it. Sometimes, some of the girls will never go to blocks, unless I send them to play there. So I try to send those to blocks to play for 5 minutes, before they go to their preferred area. It is the same with music. I do not think there is anything wrong with trying your best to get the kids to participate. Of course, it is like the "you can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make him drink". I was not disagreeing with you, at all. In fact, I agree that we need to encourage (strongly) that the kids make some sort of effort. The hard part is getting them to try.

18. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

Ok, I'm the minority here it seems because I have no idea what Tooty Ta is!!! What the heck is that?!

To the OP, if these great suggestions you have gotten don't work, don't beat yourself up too much. Some kids just don't like music. Just like others don't like math, English (sorry Jane), or physical ed. You can't please every child with every subject. :)

19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2006

I don't know either, Jen; but it sounds like I might not like it much anyway.

My advice would be, as it would be with any subject, to provide as much variety as you can, encourage active participation, but remember that everything isn't going to please everyone.

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Dec 13, 2006

LOL! Okay, tooty ta is a song by Dr. Jean that's really quite silly. It goes, tooty ta, tooty ta, tooty ta ta. Thumbs up.... elbows back... feet apart...knees together.... bottums up.... tongues out...eyes close...turn around.

21. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 13, 2006

That's why I can't teach little ones...just couldn't do it.

22. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Dec 13, 2006

Disney has a Kid's CD, can't remember what the name is... but it's funny lyrics to famous classical tunes (Clare de lune, Ode to Joy, Beethovan's Fifth, etc)... the second half the CD is just the classical music with no words. Might be something there to help you?