How to get extremely low K student to work independently

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by waterfall, Feb 29, 2012.

1. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 29, 2012

I am out of my element here- this student was supposed to go to the cognitive (mod/severe) program, but she had missed so many days of school that they couldn't qualify her for it, and she's technically on a speech-only IEP at the moment. She comes to school about once a week. I have a few push-in hours with her per week, but she never shows up on the days I have her scheduled so I very rarely work with her. Her teacher tells me that in class if the teacher is not right next to her doing everything, she will just sit there. The teacher wants ideas for things for her to do independently- but how can she get her to actually do them? When I say she's low, I mean really, really low. If you ask her what her name is, she can't tell you. Our SLP was giving her a list of choices, "Is you name Katie? Sara?" etc. and the girl just repeated every name she said. She knows no shapes, no numbers, no colors, is unable to name objects, point to an object that is named for her, or respond to a question. She won't write or draw (even a line or a squiggle) even with hand over hand assistance. I've actually only seen her twice, and I was working on some match cards with her (she repeated what I said). I'm definitely not used to working with kids with needs this severe. Any advice for productive things she can do on her own in class? There is no TA or other adult in the room, so essentially any time the teacher is doing guided groups or anything like that this student just sits there. The only thing I could think of was having her listen to/watch the books on Raz Kids on the computer. I also suggested matching by color (put all the blue blocks in the blue cup, etc.) or letter (put all the little A's on the big A, etc.) but her teacher is skeptical that she can even do that by herself.

3. bros

bros Phenom

Feb 29, 2012

I'm curious, how does a student missing school make it so they cannot qualify for a program that sounds like the least restrictive environment for them? Was the district unable to perform evaluations due to the absences?

4. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Feb 29, 2012

Yeah, last year when they evaluated her she literally only came to school one day during the testing window, so they were able to get in the speech testing but not the academics (she came to school less than 20 days total last year). "Lack of appropriate instruction" would disqualify her or anyway, so I'm not sure how they were planning to deal with that. K is not required in my state, so she's not technically truant and we can't make her come to school- they are hoping they can get something done next year when there can be consequences for not coming to school.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 1, 2012

The evaluation will have to wait until next year when school is actually required for this student.

For the remainder of this year, is there anyway to match her with another adult in the school for some of the time (if she shows up)? Maybe a school secretary or parent volunteer?

She may not be able to do these well...but at least they would give her something to try and then she can be rewarded for any attempt made. Maybe she walks down to your room for the reward, maybe the regular education teacher gives it to her.

I would have her listen to books, give her practice sheets with her name written on them so that she can practice tracing (there are many websites that will let you make these). Give her two buckets with two different color objects to sort into the correct bucket. Let her color and draw then have her tell someone what she drew. Provide some coloring pages for her to work on (even just coloring the tree green is a great start).

Other things to consider...anyway to have her get an extra gym or art time during the day?

6. manda80411

manda80411 Rookie

Mar 2, 2012

Options

I was even thinking if she is that low then maybe the prek busy bags that are on Pinterest and other websites. These she could do indepedently and would only take a little bit of time to make.

7. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Mar 3, 2012

Will try some of those things- thanks! She wasn't at school at all this week, but I expect to see her sometime next week.

8. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 3, 2012

She only came once in 60 days?

What odd parents.

Perhaps the district should do testing at home? I know I had home testing once, but I think that was an outside organization following up on a research study I was a part of when I was a baby.