How to get actual classroom experience.

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Galois, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Galois

Galois Companion

Dec 10, 2010

Hi. It's my first time to post under job seeker.

My teaching credential in California is through an internship - Early Completion Internship Option - Single Subject Math. My problem with this program is it does not require student teaching in the actual classroom because the actual hiring or teaching takes care of it. So I'm in a Catch 22 situation because for me to get hired I need actual classroom experience.

I have two options: 1. Beg any principal to accept me to teach in their schools for free - some sort of a volunteer, or substitute (I'll help their students prepare for SAT Math for example) So if anybody who reads this, in the Inland Empire area, and you are the Math department head, I am giving my services for free.;

2. Enroll in an MA Teaching Program, while keeping the internship since it is my teaching credential, and go straight to student teaching. I need a masters degree anyway.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Merci.

3. uncleal

uncleal Rookie

Dec 10, 2010

I would suggest the substitute teacher route. You get paid more and you get to go to schools over and over again. It's a foot into the door, definitely, and when they see that you are a good teacher, they will hire you. Good luck

4. uncleal

uncleal Rookie

Dec 10, 2010

I would suggest the substitute teacher route. You get paid more and you get to go to schools over and over again. It's a foot into the door, definitely, and when they see that you are a good teacher, they will hire you. Good luck

5. Galois

Galois Companion

Dec 10, 2010

Thanks Uncleal to your suggestion. I just tried that one.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2010

As a side, if you're good at SAT math, start doing tutoring. There's a real knack to prepping for the SAT, and good tutors are hard to find. It's a whole different matter than tutoring regular high school math.

You might make a name for yourself; it could come in handy when you're ready to apply for jobs.

Go to Vistaprint and have some business cards &/or magnets made up.

7. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Dec 11, 2010

I also highly recommend working as a substitute teacher. That will give you actual classroom experience while paying you for it at the same time. It will also give you an opportunity to demonstrate (and improve) your classroom management techniques, lesson-planning (not very often, but occasionally) and dealing with different subjects and grade levels. It will also allow you to begin creating a network of contacts that can help you when a position does become available.

I got my certification as a substitute teacher before I began taking classes to get my license. This gave me practical experience and let me know for certain that teaching was what I wanted to pursue. It also allowed my advisor to waive the Student Teaching I requirement (part-time student teaching), because I had already gained enough real experience in middle school classrooms to meet that requirement. That saved me 1 full semester in achieving my license.

8. hzminda

hzminda Rookie

Dec 11, 2010

I currently volunteer at a school and I think it another great way to get "experience" inside classrooms. As others have said, if you Sub then you will get paid. I think Subbing or volunteering is a great way to get your face known around a school and get your foot in the door.

M.H.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2010

You can also work as an aide. Not as much money or teaching responsibility, but it is experience. And you get to work with one school to really know those students and the policies.

10. Galois

Galois Companion

Dec 11, 2010

Thank you for all of your wonderful ideas.

Aliceacc what a brilliant idea! I am an entrepreneur and an engineer by profession so I just founded a business today to cater purely to Math Tutoring particularly SAT Math Tutoring. May I know the months that students need actual SAT tutoring? Again thank you.

Thanks Cerek, I just sent my application today for so many substitute math teacher openings I did not know exist.

And Mopar and Hzminda, how does one volunteer and become an aide. Do I have to go to every high school or middle school and present myself to the Principal? Sorry for my lack of knowledge. Again thank you.

11. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2010

There are many teacher's aides or paraprofessional jobs advertised on the websites where you apply for teaching jobs. We advertise on the same place for the aide positions.

Volunteering...can you talk with other teachers in the area? When potential teachers in my area need classroom observation hours, they can either find a local teacher or ask the principal to set up observation opportunities.

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2010

Another idea! Do you have a park district or teen center near by? Could you offer a weekend or weeknight class at the park district or teen center?

13. Galois

Galois Companion

Dec 11, 2010

Thanks Mopar for these great ideas.

I just talked to a Department Head in Math, (using my network) whose school is in the National Blue Ribbon ranking (I don't know what that means), who will allow me to observe and even teach so long as I can get a letter of request from the University where I am enrolled in for my intern credential. She will then give me a letter of recommendation, which I don't have at all coming from a Head or Principal of a school. Isn't that wonderful? (This forum is indeed a treasure.)

14. luckyal29

luckyal29 Companion

Dec 11, 2010

I think this is the best route to go. At Uni, all the undergrad students who wanted to become teachers were require to spend 30 hours in a classroom to get a feel for the field and see if was right for them. You'll have a chance to observe a experienced teacher and get feedback. And since it's volunteering, you can commit to the hours/timeframe you decide. Do a few weeks and then do some sub work.

From my experience as a sub - It is a good experience but I don't think your first teaching experience should be from subbing.

15. Galois

Galois Companion

Dec 11, 2010

Yes luckyal29, looks like that is the right way to go. I was fortunate to get hold of a Department Head. Who knows they might offer me a job later. Thanks.

16. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 11, 2010

That's awesome!

Blue Ribbon ranking comes from a company that the school district pays to come in and access their schools on a variety of teaching and learning areas. Then the school receives goal areas to work on and make progress as a school.

17. Julie9789

Julie9789 Companion

Dec 12, 2010

Substitute and Volunteer.

Prior to getting my substitute position in the county, I attended volunteer training and went to various schools 1-3x a week. Just being in the classroom was an experience. The teachers knew I was a teacher and would give me small groups, reteach groups, and pull students for additional support. Now that I'm a substitute for the county, I'm a preference for those teachers because they know I can handle their classrooms and feel comfortable leaving lessons for me. It's one step closer to getting a job in the county.